ET: Engine (Twin) Cylinder stud torque setting?

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The head nuts get torqued to 32ft/lbs...What is the torque setting for the long studs that go through the heads & barrels into the crankcases?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I’d say make sure the holes are clean, screw the studs in to the bottom with sealant on the threads, and unscrew them a quarter turn; no torque as such.

Edit: see Greg’s post below, I defer to his experience.

Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
Sorry have to disagree on that one.......they have a taper at the base of the stud to lock into the crankcase for the purpose of locking them tight........... Lock two of the 879 head bracket nuts together nipped up with a pair of spanners, use some thread sealant on the upper part of the stud thread........do not use a thread locker like loctite........if you do it will destroy the threads if the studs are removed in future. Wind the stud into the case thread and pull them up nice and tight using a normal length ring and open end spanner, then back off the two locking nuts and move on to the next one........ I always buff up the threads on both ends, and if the studs are the original steel items, I paint them first with some silver engine enamel in a spray can to stop the studs rusting............ Use either grease, oil or anti seize on the upper threads for the hold down nuts, this will allow a correct "Rolling torque" when you tension up the head nuts.......... Good luck.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I think what he is asking is.

Older 2 piece studs, already in situ.
head nuts torqued appropriately, what does he use on the head bracket nuts as these are separate from the stud holding the heads on.

N'est pas?

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
The heads are installed, but not bolted down. When I removed the heads I noted that a couple of the studs were undone by half a dozen turns, so I hand tightened them..I foolishly left the cad plated nuts in a soapy parts cleaner for too long, now the cad plating is quite stained, so this morning I‘ll investigate dull nickle plating cost and compare that cost to simply buying new stainless items from the VOC..This gives me time to fret over the studs, which I can easily withdraw and give a light coating of hylomar or...

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Fasteners dropped off at the platers to be nickle plated, so I‘ve got a week to decide what & how to handle the studs..