cylinder lubrication

derek

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What is the opinion of doing away with the cylinder lubricating feed? Has anyone done this and with what results. As my engine is built up (a Comet) and I don't want to fit a restrictor which reduces feed to the cam shaft. I am considering blocking the drilling outlet in the crankcase liner recess, with plastic steel or silicone; any thoughts? The reason in doing this is to try and alleviate the serious carbon problems I have had, I am also fitting metering wires to rocker feed bolts. My inlet valve guide does have seal fitted:

clevtrev

VOC Member
What makes you think fitting a restrictor decreases the flow to the cam ? Simply fit a plain disc in the offending recess. If you want more oil to the cam, put a larger jet in the cover. If you think a bit, you would find that the same pump is delivering the same amount of oil to a twin crank. So does one actually need so much ? also remembering that a single turns much faster than a twin at the same speed.

derek

VOC Member
The oil is fed through the cam spindle to cylinder lubrication, the restrictor disc is normally fitted behind the rubber seal to reduce oil into cam spindle in an effort to reduce flow to cylinder, therefore the flow to cam bushes and cam are effected. The ideal restrictor position would be at the outlet from cam spindle, this then would only adjust cylinder lubrication.

derek

VOC Member
I realise that I have been talking RUBBISH, as the oil goes direct to the cylinder through the cam follower spindle, not the cam spindle. So as clevtrev states the fix is easey fit restrictor timing chest rubber feed to follower spindle. My excuse, I do not have the engine timing case off, but looked at the spares sheet. Thanks anyway.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Derek, Not keen on you putting plastic steel or silicone, If that stuff gets loose = Big trouble, Some people don't use a cylinder feed and get away with it, I like to use it, Just make sure the hole is below the oil ring, I think there is a lot of oil splash going on, So you shoud be OK with out, I raced once and thought the motor was a making a lot of noise, At the end of the day found the oil pump had worn out !! = No feed anywhere, Still went OK !! Cheers Bill.

Matty

VOC Member
Seems all good stuff, and will probably just put a plastic disc with a small hole in it behind the rubber washer in the timing case.