E: Engine Cylinder Liners

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone out there know what the Brinell hardness of cylinder liners should be?
I'm not the most wonderful of engineers but my brother bought me a Brinell hardness tester for Xmas---Why I don't know.
Anyway I tested an original liner and it appears to be About 300 to 311 Brinell.
The new liner that is badly scored has, using the same tester and idiot on the end of it, what appears to be somewhere lower than 108 (the matrix with the tester does not go lower than this).
So I am now wondering if my offhand quip about poor liner material may could have some validity,and where do I guarantee to get a better liner..John

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Vincents used a Rockwell machine for hardness testing the only thing I remember as the casting got older readings changed perhaps a expert can tell us more

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Hi NKT
Best info I could find on the net is as follows;

Hardness;
93-104 HRB 200-270HB
Tensile strength;
Min 270 N/mm sqd

This seems to be a common spec on both sides of the pond (LA Sleeve and Westwood Cyl Liners)

NB 100 HRB is about 240 on Brinell scale

HTH
Neil

Howard

VOC Member
Try testing the piston as well, metallurgy is not my subject, but I think piston alloys ought to be somewhere around 100 Brinell.

H

aldeburgh

Non-VOC Member
Hello John
If you need any liner samples to test I have approx 150 pieces in a tin on my bench ,I can confirm without a Brinell tester that they are harder than the crankcases..........

john998

VOC Member
Not sure about what hardness but some years ago I fitted new liners only for them to wear out in short order.
They looked as though the gudgeon pin circlip had been left out. Not sure of were they came from, most likely a supplier
of cast iron gutters,
One of them is still sculling about if any one can think of a use for it .

nkt267

VOC Member
Not sure about what hardness but some years ago I fitted new liners only for them to wear out in short order.
They looked as though the gudgeon pin circlip had been left out. Not sure of were they came from, most likely a supplier
of cast iron gutters,
I know exactly where this one came from..john

Howard

VOC Member
Just to throw a spanner in the works of complaining about the liner. With surfaces rubbing against each other, it isn't always the soft one that wears. The soft component can get hard particles embedded in it, then it acts like emery cloth.

H