Jim Bush

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Jim, Did you use anything for lube when cutting ?,
I had a Trained friend who did a Super job on my pistons,
Opening up the ring lands, To take bigger rings,
He used WD 40.
Cheers Bill.
No lube this time, cuts were miniscule - I used a fresh carbide insert with positive rake that seemed to do a fine clean cut and leave a very flat finish. I often use SD40 on aluminum machining, preference is a spray mister.

flashvin

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Expensive but Millenium Engineering will do up your old cyl. muffs with and alloy liner and Nikasil coat them.
Using modern forged piston specify .035 skirt clearence and supply them with the piston to be used. Skip the oil hole archaic no need. Shorten the bottom of the overly long liner by 35mm to allow better splash misting oil to reach the underside of the pistons assuming your going to fit the modern spec shorter skirt piston. Never had a seizure racing running 11.5 /1 forged pistons and above specs. And those pistons got hot. Blued wrist pins . Which tightened up in the small end eye till I increase the pin to small end eye clearance by + .005 . Then all was well. Happy motoring

Nigel Spaxman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Expensive but Millenium Engineering will do up your old cyl. muffs with and alloy liner and Nikasil coat them.
Using modern forged piston specify .035 skirt clearence and supply them with the piston to be used. Skip the oil hole archaic no need. Shorten the bottom of the overly long liner by 35mm to allow better splash misting oil to reach the underside of the pistons assuming your going to fit the modern spec shorter skirt piston. Never had a seizure racing running 11.5 /1 forged pistons and above specs. And those pistons got hot. Blued wrist pins . Which tightened up in the small end eye till I increase the pin to small end eye clearance by + .005 . Then all was well. Happy motoring
That is a good idea shortening the liner. There is no reason for the liner to go down lower than the piston goes. I think you must have meant .0005"