E: Engine Cylinder Liners

Nigel Spaxman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have been running with the piston oil holes blocked for the last two years. I don't think they are any benefit and besides that it is better to have that oil going to the cams. A few other people agree about this but there are lots of other people who prefer to run the oil holes. (some people even like two or three holes!) I doubt there is a modern engine that has oil holes in the liners. When you have modern pistons in a Vincent then it is running more like a modern engine. I wonder what would happen if you were running some of those liners with the holes to high but no oil coming out of them. I think it would work OK. My engine has negligible oil consumption, just like a modern engine. My engine can run wide open up hill at 4000 RPM 85 MPH two up for half an hour or more without problems. I don't think the pistons need more oil than they get from the crank. Really all the oil that is circulated in the engine gets chucked around everywhere by the flywheels before it is pumped out anyway. Pumping the oil to the cams first probably doesn't reduce the oil to the piston skirts much at all.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Nigel my handsome, I think you are correct, Stopped oil supply to liners in 1990, fitted a double start pump and a Honda oil pump French design done nearly 200 k since cams & pistons great condition just renew rings having nickersil (spelling !!)liners. one bar of oil pressure to cam spindles and the oil squirts out of cam holes under followers.
bananaman.

Jim Bush

VOC Member
Had fun finessing the heads and barrels yesterday. Cleaned up to 2 thou clearance. All done on the lathe, with the help of Dan's handy dandy head holder. It was a bit of mess beforehand, dimensions all inconsistent, took a bit of cleaning up, a thou at a time.

Attachments

• 20220112_150504_sm.jpg
    20220112_150504_sm.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220112_155848_sm.jpg
    20220112_155848_sm.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220112_161738_sm.jpg
    20220112_161738_sm.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220112_170525_sm.jpg
    20220112_170525_sm.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 33

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Had fun finessing the heads and barrels yesterday. Cleaned up to 2 thou clearance. All done on the lathe, with the help of Dan's handy dandy head holder. It was a bit of mess beforehand, dimensions all inconsistent, took a bit of cleaning up, a thou at a time.
Looks good Jim. Were the seats and guides ok?

We are currently doing my dads prewar Goldstar.

Last edited:

Jim Bush

VOC Member
Looks good Jim. We’re the seats and guides ok?

We are currently doing my dads prewar Goldstar.
Yes, they were fine - very heavy carbon deposits and debris. One inlet valve was leaking due to the carbon debris on the seats - they just needed a light stoning and lapping. I have installed valve guide seals. Getting a set of new Omega 8.:1 pistons for the refresh.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Jim, Did you use anything for lube when cutting ?,
I had a Trained friend who did a Super job on my pistons,
Opening up the ring lands, To take bigger rings,
He used WD 40.
Cheers Bill.