Cylinder liner oil hole

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have to fit a new cylinder liner to a Comet.The mechanics of the job are not a problem, how much clearance is too much between the liner and crankcase mouth before there are oil supply problems to the piston skirt.
Is there a 'perfect' measurement for the oil hole in the liner and if not how close to the bottom of the crankcase mouth is it sensible to position the oil hole in the liner..John

clevtrev

VOC Member
I have to fit a new cylinder liner to a Comet.The mechanics of the job are not a problem, how much clearance is too much between the liner and crankcase mouth before there are oil supply problems to the piston skirt.
Is there a 'perfect' measurement for the oil hole in the liner and if not how close to the bottom of the crankcase mouth is it sensible to position the oil hole in the liner..John
The position of the hole in the liner, is just below the oil control ring, and above the change in section of the bore in the case.

nkt267

VOC Member
Thanks Trev.I have measured the hole in the existing liner and I found it to be approximately 50/60 thou below the oil ring. I wasn't sure if this figure was about right. John