Cylinder liner material: hard verus soft cast?

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
yeah the rings, Roy, i guess its a ring with a not perpendiculair gap but one like a tapered gap, thus creating some expandig space. or is it the material?

chips go in the scrap bin, we dont walk on them.......
when milling one gets chips in the power of 2, compared to turning. i have now a set of used ones with liners, and by ... they are to heavy, so Ill set for milling.

I will do some contemplating tonight under a clear sky, full with stars, and ask my local witch for The Force..... then take a peee and decide how to go on

thanx Guys.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The Oz Rapide has Cast iron liners from T Prince, Kemp's low expansion pistons and Honda chrome rings, 40,000+ miles to date and runs great.
Glen

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Total seal is a bit like a multi part oil ring, but it goes on the second compression ring groove. The compression ring is machined with a "recess" to accept a thin ring which fits into the underside groove. So when assembled and aligned according to the "wordy" "destructions" there is no gap! I'm quite sure if you google total seal rings you will get a much more technical description. For my Jaguar race cars I recon them to be the dogs b locks!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think I remember them from the old days, But they had another name ? They were very tight to get in the bores, I thought they was a bodge for an over oily motor, It will come to me in about a weak !! Cheers Bill.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Another belated rambling, the old school guys reconed to use a material called white mehonite for cylinder liners. Check it out, those old fellas just may have known something !

hrdaustria

VOC Member
yeah the rings, Roy, i guess its a ring with a not perpendiculair gap but one like a tapered gap, thus creating some expandig space. or is it the material?

chips go in the scrap bin, we dont walk on them.......
when milling one gets chips in the power of 2, compared to turning. i have now a set of used ones with liners, and by ... they are to heavy, so Ill set for milling.

I will do some contemplating tonight under a clear sky, full with stars, and ask my local witch for The Force..... then take a peee and decide how to go on

thanx Guys.

hello vincent!
did a top end rebuild on my bigbore shadow this winter. made alloy sleeves, had them ceramic coated, running je pistons and rings, new guides with seals, new valves, altered rocker bushes, twin spark ignition from grosset, ...
done now 3.000 km of hard running in, engine runs great, totaly oiltight. allready saw some fascinated bmw-gs-riders after leaving them behind on some passes.

all the best michi