Cylinder hold down studs/ Girdraulic spindles.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone know if the hold down studs were originally cadmium plated, or just left as machined. While I'm at it did the same apply to the original front Girdraulic spindles, or are the tolerances too tight for a plated finish........? Cheers........Greg.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Must say it does seem a little strange that a manufacturer would use an unplated steel item where the ends which are exposed, and would therefore easily rust. Perhaps they touched up the ends with a touch of silver paint. That's generally what I do to them. I know on most bikes I restore, that I even get the kickstart and gearshift shafts plated, does no harm, and you can always lightly remove any area's causing any tight spots upon assembly. Does anyone else do this.....? I have looked at many restored bikes of different makes and models, and find it disappointing to see rusty looking shafts in the center of nicely chromed levers.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Didn't the early post war engines have the ends of the case throughbolts painted black as well....? I wonder why. Were the early studs not plated.

Les Thomson

Non-VOC Member
Must say it does seem a little strange that a manufacturer would use an unplated steel item where the ends which are exposed, and would therefore easily rust. Perhaps they touched up the ends with a touch of silver paint. That's generally what I do to them. I know on most bikes I restore, that I even get the kickstart and gearshift shafts plated, does no harm, and you can always lightly remove any area's causing any tight spots upon assembly. Does anyone else do this.....? I have looked at many restored bikes of different makes and models, and find it disappointing to see rusty looking shafts in the center of nicely chromed levers.
Silver paint is called Maori chrome :confused:

davidd

VOC Member
I think on the Series A's some of the spindles and studs were blackened, much like Brough did with some of their hardware.

David