Cylinder Head Washers

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I use them not that I can confirm that is what was there originally, Peter Barker or Simon Dinsdale would be sure to know another is Colin Jenner but never see him on here but then there are some very secretive handles used here.
bananaman

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
There is none listed in the series A alternative parts list or the original factory engine diagrams / parts list for series A, but this diagram & list is no where as detailed as the series B-D parts books. So to answer the question I don't know if they were originally fitted or not.

On my bike I did use washers because it is good engineering practice in most situations and also it protects the paint on your painted cast iron cylinder head which will rust very quickly if paint is damaged from not using a washer.

Simon Dinsdale

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What Simon said;

PLUS:
I've noticed that replacement cylinder head studs are often on the short side of ideal. In which case, the 5 x head nuts are often only held on by say 3 to 5 threads at the top of each stud. Not Good. Putting a washer below the nut, although good engineering practice, makes this problem even worse. Just something to watch-out for. No two engines are the same. Proceed with caution and good judgement....

Of course, longer studs would be great - but, if too long, then you will likely run in to problems getting the cylinder head off with the engine still in the frame! Something else to watch-out for....! :oops:

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

P.S. Definitely use washers on alloy heads!

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Peter is correct about the length of the cylinder head studs. I made new studs in EN16T and made them all 1/8" longer than the originals and can still get enough clearance for removing the cylinder head.

Simon

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
I have three sets of studs all zinc plated if anyone needs a set just quote me the length required and I'll see if I can oblige as I will never need them as mine are in stainless (of cause). To be fair there is about three "D's depth of thread into C/case so a couple of turns less of that Whitworth thread will give nearly double the turns on the BSC 3/8" nuts, that I made with two hexagon sizes 5/16 & 1/4 Whit.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
Sorry one is missing, soon knock up another if needed.

IMG_2151.jpeg