Cylinder head temperature

ET43

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Harvey, 180C = 356F, about as hot as I would wish to push an engine. Most of the microlight boys say when you see a reading of 360 to 380, back off the throttle. I do not know what the thinner air does to the temperature if you see what I mean. What thermocouples, and whose CHT gauge are you using please, as that is next on the list for the trike. I think I'm right in saying that grey colour on the plugs is the norm with unleaded fuel, and that you will not get a black exhaust tail pipe. Thanks for the info. ET43

harvey

Forum User
VOC Member
Hello ET43, senders are CP001,ring type, it is 19.6mm dia so it fits plug recess with careful bend on the tail where the t/c is attached. Gauge is a CH002, dual Round gauge, 2"dia, does 2 cyls. There are others . Supplier was Skydrive, website www.skydrive.co.uk, tel 01926 612188. They are Rotax dealers. Rob is tech guy, Very helpful. Its a type J t/c, and no power supply is needed.
This was started off by idle curiosity as to CHT, which resulted in finding 210 deg C on a lashup indicator, after 1/2 throttle climb of Glenshee, 700ft rise in 1 mile. Bit hot...

serious C

Forum User
VOC Member