FT: Frame (Twin) cylinder head brackets

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If we are talking about 35lb foot lb for the Big cylinder head nuts,
I would say the same for the Big Nuts above them, But there is no set torque settings in the books,
Cheers Bill.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
What type of cylinder studs does your bike have? The early series B two piece type with the hollow outer threaded tube for the cylinder head and the 3/8" inner stud for the head bracket should be a lower torque than the later solid studs. Most bikes mid 1948 onwards have the solid cylinder studs.

Simon

vibrac

VOC Member
At the risk as repeating an old song, there are no official torque figures for the Vincent there were no torque spanners on the assembly lines in 1948. The only time I use a figure is as Bill says is the cylinder head nuts (And even then I say 32 lb ft not Bills 35 !:)) Otherwise like the factory you need to be a fitter not an assembler.. tight is tight too tight is busted!

Albervin

VOC Member
I am continually amazed that people who have never rebuilt or restored a bike think they can learn the process by working on one of the most expensive production motorcycles ever made. A set of standard BSF and BSW spanners plus a 1/4" drive socket set is a good starting point. You may need a 1/2" drive for the ESA nut on the twin. I have a rule that the small stuff (2BA, 1/4" BSF etc) barely need more than two fingers to tighten. The crankcase studs are routinely over-tightened by people who think the cases will blow apart unless the nuts are pulled down with the force of Atlas! There are tables available that give torque figures according to thread dimensions but be aware that our bikes are mainly alloy and not cast iron or heavy gauge steel (as in Harleys).

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think we all have to learn by our mistakes, I have made a few !,
Or we would do nothing,
The information on the computers now is Huge, Making almost anything possible ,
Just some of it is wrong !!, Been watching cutting down trees etc,
" Or how to get Killed " doing it !!,
So we have to chose who to trust, Maybe if 2 or 3 tell us the same , Should be OK ??.