SP: Spring Boxes (Rear) Current Thinking

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Because I am a lazy sot and spend way too much time reading stuff on the computer --------- We have a local new owner of a C Rapide that has the original rear springs and shock (which appears to have discharged its bodily fluids) and he is asking about what to do. The bike has a Thornton/Works shock up front which appears to be functioning as intended, but I am not sure what or from whom I should recommend he look to for a replacement.

AVO I assume do a rear although most of what I read is for a Series D, so they do a coilover for a C?

Ikon??

anyone else??

Thanks

Robert

timetraveller

VOC Member
AVO do a coil over for the rear of 'C's but also just a damper to work with the original, or Pettiford, springs. This damper has the bottom fixing off set to one side to allow for more movement, Hadronuk is the chap to tell you more.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Robert I have the AVO coilover on my bike. It works way better than what I had before, the original springs with a Koni damper. The price of the AVO coil over was not much more than the price for a set of softer springs. Really I think the longer softer springs would have done the job, but with a lot more work. I got the front AVO as well and it is way better than my altered original shock. If you want I will sell my old rear Koni for $150.00. I will sell my original front shock also for $150.00. It works as well as the original can, it doesn't leak and it has the check valve modification. I guess I have springs and spring boxes I will never use either.

Nigel

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
It works really well. You can adjust the preload using the exhaust nut spanner that is already in the tool box. There is a damping adjustment by a small allen screw. Make sure they mail it to you. I think they sent me mine by some kind of courier and it cost a lot to get it through customs.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
I put the Avo coil over rear shock on my Rapide, put on braces for the back of the seat and tossed the FT94 assemblies away. It has transformed the bike. I agree with Nigel about the courier service, duties, taxes etc. which pretty much doubled the cost of the shock.
20170428_164022.jpg

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
My Vincent is more comfortable two up than my 2000 Triumph Sprint. It has a smoother ride, the seat is really comfortable as well. I is way better now that it has the fully suspended seat. It is possible to bottom out the rear suspension on the Vincent. I have never had that happen on the front. The Sprint never bottoms but the suspension is a lot firmer and a bit to abrupt over small bumps. The handling of the Sprint is pretty good on faster roads though even when they are a bit bumpy. I think the Sprint could benefit from a new shock.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
They do float along very nicely on full suspension. I would say the full suspension Vincent handles moderately rough roads better than the swing arm BSA but not as well as the Norton Commando Mk3 or 650ss.
The Roadholder claim was for real.
The stock Vincent setup isn't awful for solo riding, but when two up it's very hard on the passenger.
Their suspension allocation is the air in the rear tire!

Glen