Misc: Electric Starters Current Price of Grosset Starter For a Twin. How To See a Walkernator?

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The late Bert Weisz had his own car alternator version. It sat a bit further back and he had to make a battery bracket that was sort of above the horn. He used the smallest 12V battery he could find to supply the initial field magnetizing current. The pulley ratio must have spun it pretty fast to have good power off idle.

timetraveller

VOC Member
On my bike with the Iskra alternator the battery had to go back about 3/4". On B/C twins I get the alternator to turn at double the engine speed and one never sees a discharge on the ammeter. On 'D's I can get the alternator to turn slightly faster. On Comets there is not enough space for a larger pulley on the dynamo replacement and so on Comets one does not balance the lights etc at 30 mph in top gear. Third gear in heavy traffic will solve that problem.
For those who think that the alternator looks ugly, father and son combo, John and Peter Appleton came up with a scheme to put a horn bezel on the end of the alternator to partially hide it. Here is a photo of one such modification on a Comet.
1656241265833.jpeg

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Just wondering if you have too much slippage on your Mcdouglator, ?,
We had to set them on first fitting .
You state, "We had to set them on first fitting," and I was looking for the second sentence that would tell me
how you set 'them'. Initially I believe I had the outer nut against the Belleville washer too snug so the washer
would not spin on over-ride as it should. Later I backed it off and set it by feel. Then set it by inch pounds. Then I've set the gear drive into the primary chain, high, low, center, etc. and still knacker the drive gear and have never hurt the
primary, so it's obvious I haven't come up with the right formula for setting the unit itself. I've been running with a worn out drive gear for a very long time and 'if it ain't broke don't fix it,' is my attitude now. The unit still charges just fine.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
On my bike with the Iskra alternator the battery had to go back about 3/4". On B/C twins I get the alternator to turn at double the engine speed and one never sees a discharge on the ammeter. On 'D's I can get the alternator to turn slightly faster. On Comets there is not enough space for a larger pulley on the dynamo replacement and so on Comets one does not balance the lights etc at 30 mph in top gear. Third gear in heavy traffic will solve that problem.
For those who think that the alternator looks ugly, father and son combo, John and Peter Appleton came up with a scheme to put a horn bezel on the end of the alternator to partially hide it. Here is a photo of one such modification on a Comet.
View attachment 50711
The horn bezel makes it a most handsome unit, well done.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You state, "We had to set them on first fitting," and I was looking for the second sentence that would tell me
how you set 'them'. Initially I believe I had the outer nut against the Belleville washer too snug so the washer
would not spin on over-ride as it should. Later I backed it off and set it by feel. Then set it by inch pounds. Then I've set the gear drive into the primary chain, high, low, center, etc. and still knacker the drive gear and have never hurt the
primary, so it's obvious I haven't come up with the right formula for setting the unit itself. I've been running with a worn out drive gear for a very long time and 'if it ain't broke don't fix it,' is my attitude now. The unit still charges just fine.
You sent in a good write up in Thevincent.com.