Misc: Electric Starters Current Price of Grosset Starter For a Twin. How To See a Walkernator?

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Cannot locate a website for Francois Grosset and seeking the current price of his kit for a twin starter. I've also read of a charging
system by Norman Walker, but like many of his other superb products I've yet to see it featured in the MPH and have no idea what it
consists of or looks like. Would sure like to see a list of his products, but where to go? As usual, my complaint since the 90's about this fine club is that it sure helps if one is in the 'in-crowd' to really know what's going on. I've been consumed by the restoration of my 1937 LaSalle Opera coupe for the past three years and have not worked on my Vin, just ridden it, so I am out of the 'loop'. I drove this same car over 100,000 miles (drove it through college) and got it back. It now has a 500" Cadillac Eldorado engine in it and will look bone stock when I'm done. Then it's on to my new discipline of panel beating which will take me a decade to become fairly proficient. First project will be to make a copy of my Vincent fuel tank in aluminum just to begin learning about shrinking and stretching. I've made some real progress in oxy welding aluminum and have learned some of the pros don't use acetylene, they use hydrogen...and most importantly, special lenses. The lenses (in the USA) were called Bert Weld, but no longer available, and rare. But TM Technologies in California makes some acceptable lenses for $192.00 (US Dollars) that make all the difference in the world.
I've read extensively about the various starters for a twin and Francois' is of course the leader in the field, so wondering if there are any
current improvements that have addresses some past issue, sprag clutch, pin breakage, etc. And, far as I know there may be another starter on the market now one should look at.
This is one fine club but for years I've lobbied that one issue of MPH per year ought to feature 'new products-mods' for the Vincent so we can all stay updated.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Norman = Timetraveller P.M. Him
For Walkernator,
This is his old type, Super build !.

Attachments

• IMG_20211202_085655.jpg
    IMG_20211202_085655.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20211122_110441 (4).jpg
    IMG_20211122_110441 (4).jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 69

vibrac

VOC Member
If you are on this Forum all the info is here the search engine is in top right
my only complaint is that it doesn't like short search keys like RFM !
I have not tried its boolean logic lately but I believe the minus ( - ) excluder works

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Carl, thank you for your kind comments. I’m sorry that I do not advertise but providing these parts is a hobby, not a business. I do it to help fellow Vincent owners and I work on trying to sell things at just over cost. I certainly do not make a five percent profit. Also delivery can be slow. As an example, I was dealing with enquiries for modified steering stems about New Year. I ordered fourteen to be made but these were not ready until the 11th of May and I had to go into hospital on the 12th for a partial knee replacement. I have only been able to drive to collect parts etc. for one week now. I have spent part of the time assembling the steering heads, making up parcels and last week sent off four packages to various people with either steering heads, hydraulic steering dampers or both. Yesterday I made up another package containing two steering heads and six sets of front suspension springs so I am pottering along trying to get things done.

By chance I have also been making a Walkernator kit up for a Comet for Peter Holmes, who is a regular contributor to the forum. This uses a different alternator to those shown in the earlier pictures. The first eighty or so of these kits used an Iskra 30 amp alternator but the last few have used a Nippon Denso alternator. This is about one centimetre smaller in diameter, about one centimetre longer, produces 40 amps instead of 30 and has the regulator built in, rather than a separate item which has to be placed somewhere on the bike.

I am going to attach two photographs of the kit being assembled at the moment so that you can see how the two alternators differ in appearance.

The first view shows the dynamo replacement with the Comet gear drive, the two pulleys for the multi vee belt drive and alternator.

The second picture shows the end view of the alternator
As for price well that is difficult. If I just go and buy a Nippon Denso 40 amp alternator they can cost £300+ each. If I go on line and find someone selling them for kit cars they cost about £100 each. At that price a full kit will cost £400 ish which is still cheaper than an Alton, produces much more power, but does not look original. I can send photographs of the earlier kits fitted to a twin if you wish.
1656154846760.jpeg

1656154889310.jpeg

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Re: François Grosset starter, this is not in anyway official, it is a guesstimate based on a purchase I made about 4 years ago, I would expect to pay somewhere around £2k.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Hi Carl, thank you for your kind comments. I’m sorry that I do not advertise but providing these parts is a hobby, not a business. I do it to help fellow Vincent owners and I work on trying to sell things at just over cost. I certainly do not make a five percent profit. Also delivery can be slow. As an example, I was dealing with enquiries for modified steering stems about New Year. I ordered fourteen to be made but these were not ready until the 11th of May and I had to go into hospital on the 12th for a partial knee replacement. I have only been able to drive to collect parts etc. for one week now. I have spent part of the time assembling the steering heads, making up parcels and last week sent off four packages to various people with either steering heads, hydraulic steering dampers or both. Yesterday I made up another package containing two steering heads and six sets of front suspension springs so I am pottering along trying to get things done.

By chance I have also been making a Walkernator kit up for a Comet for Peter Holmes, who is a regular contributor to the forum. This uses a different alternator to those shown in the earlier pictures. The first eighty or so of these kits used an Iskra 30 amp alternator but the last few have used a Nippon Denso alternator. This is about one centimetre smaller in diameter, about one centimetre longer, produces 40 amps instead of 30 and has the regulator built in, rather than a separate item which has to be placed somewhere on the bike.

I am going to attach two photographs of the kit being assembled at the moment so that you can see how the two alternators differ in appearance.

The first view shows the dynamo replacement with the Comet gear drive, the two pulleys for the multi vee belt drive and alternator.

The second picture shows the end view of the alternator
As for price well that is difficult. If I just go and buy a Nippon Denso 40 amp alternator they can cost £300+ each. If I go on line and find someone selling them for kit cars they cost about £100 each. At that price a full kit will cost £400 ish which is still cheaper than an Alton, produces much more power, but does not look original. I can send photographs of the earlier kits fitted to a twin if you wish.
View attachment 50669
View attachment 50670
Hi: So many thanks for the reply, and I fully understand doing something as a hobby as opposed to a business. I believe you also made a little chingadero for the clutch rod I found about and am sure I purchased it years ago. I believe you also made the fiberglass engine holder that is capable of holding up an entire bike. I bought one, cut out a portion of it to give clearance to the left hand prop stand and put my entire machine on it. I built a box for it to sit on. Then I made a dolly that holds the front wheel/fork assembly and all I have to do is take the engine loose, roll away the front end and Bob's your uncle. I do not recall if your engine holder allows one to remove the G-50 plate and I now ask because I am considering an electric starter, and your holder works so very well I'd really prefer to sit the bike on it again to do the work...but as noted I'm not sure if there is clearance to remove the G-50 so possibly you'll let me know. I was interested in your alternator because I'm familiar with your level of craftsmanship and have considered replacing my McDouglator. It works just fine and keeps on working but try as I might I cannot keep drive sprockets in good order on the thing. I've set the sprocket, high, low, center in the drive chain and I have worn out three sprockets. This last time I said to heck with it and have been running a worn out sprocket for a long time. I carry a spare. But, the Kubota alternator isn't as obtrusive as the ones you are using and it's difficult to see, so I'll stick with it for the time being. Even after all these years I haven't mastered Long Stroke-Short Stroke on my Twin and it seems as though I just don't get a full swing in when I kick it, so starting remains an iffy proposition, but when I do get it right she fires just fine...thus my thoughts turned toward the electric start. Sure glad to see you are making parts for the Vincent, I really appreciate craftsmen such as yourself. I'm just getting ready to embark on my next discipline of becoming an accomplished panel-beater, so my work is cut out for the next few years.

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of CIMG0004.JPG
    Copy of Copy of CIMG0004.JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Vin. Engine Box.jpg
    Vin. Engine Box.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 43

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Re: François Grosset starter, this is not in anyway official, it is a guesstimate based on a purchase I made about 4 years ago, I would expect to pay somewhere around £2k.
That's close enough for me, surprised I could not find a price on Google or his own website.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just wondering if you have too much slippage on your Mcdouglator, ?,
We had to set them on first fitting .