Craven Silver Arrows

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a "requires restoration" pair of Craven Silver Arrow panniers. What I cannot figure out is how the top mountings work. They clearly need to engage with 2 threaded roods/bolts and then be secured by wing nuts

- (at the bottom, on the rear, IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0028.JPG is a Dzus fastner).

My confusion is that the vertical part of the top mount is 2 1/2 inches away from the rear edge of the pannier, and that would mean then a 2 1/2 inch lever moment caused by the weight of the pannier pulling down on the upper mounts - and that does not seem to be to be correct.

Can anyone explain how the top mounts are meant to work, or better still , provide some photo's that show it? What I really need to understand is the fitting from the pannier frame on the bike that engages with the pannier top lugs.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hi Martyn,

I think that they hang from the brackets shown in the pictures posted by arpajou in th My Vincent thread. He showed an original Craven carrier. Fitted on its outer rails are P clips with spaced out bolts. These would be rotated 'til the bolts were horizontal to carry the lugs on the top of the panniers. The Dzus fastener is on the bottom of a loop inboard of this rail.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Hi Martyn,

I think that they hang from the brackets shown in the pictures posted by arpajou in th My Vincent thread. He showed an original Craven carrier. Fitted on its outer rails are P clips with spaced out bolts. These would be rotated 'til the bolts were horizontal to carry the lugs on the top of the panniers. The Dzus fastener is on the bottom of a loop inboard of this rail.
Yes - I saw those but I see at least 2 issues.

1. Those "hooks" are available from Craven in lengths of either 35mm or 58mm - neither would be long enough to engage with the brackets fitted to the panniers
2. A close examination of the Silver Arrows photo in the craven catalogue clearly shows that the tops mounts are fitted with wing nuts securing the pannier.

The kicker is that I have just now found these pics that clearly show how it should be done. I should have looked harder before I started this thread!

Craven 002.jpg Craven 009.jpg

Shanghai

VOC Member
Hi Martyn,
Craven now have the bracket shown in your second photo in stock.
The part number is P511 and they are GBP3.00 each.
Tony

Shanghai

VOC Member
Yes. A short, flat piece of metal bar, rounded at each end with a right angle bend in the centre, three chamfered holes on one end and a P shaped cut out in the other.
Made from stainless steel.
They recently had them made up & now in stock.
I purchased 4 last month.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Yes. A short, flat piece of metal bar, rounded at each end with a right angle bend in the centre, three chamfered holes on one end and a P shaped cut out in the other.
Made from stainless steel.
They recently had them made up & now in stock.IMG_0045.JPG
I purchased 4 last month.
Ah! Just like these?