Craven rack fitment

Bob P

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am restoring a craven rack (same as p24 in Original Vincent) and it seems every photo I find has the mounting brackets fitted differently. Does anyone have any information on the correct fitment and pivoting joint adjustment please?

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Bob,
It seems that the design changed over the years and became more crudely made. According to my late Craven catalogue the set up in Original Vincent p24 tallies. The Rapide PAE 48 appears to be modified with lugs brazed or welded on to the mudguard/lifting stay for the rear carrier stays. This is a much neater and more secure arrangement than the standard Craven clamps, which can slip down. The seat nose spindle bolt needs to be longer as the carrier arms are fitted outboard of the spindle nuts and secured by a second nut and washer. Without this spacing the arms may foul the springboxes.
The long arm from the seat nose goes inside the seat stays using the cranked mounting plate which is attached to the seat stay top pivot using a longer 1 5/8" bolt (963) and then on to the front pivot on the carrier. On PAE 48 it is mounted on the outer side of the pivot plate. Mine has to be mounted on the inner side. This seems to depend on the vagaries of the the dual seat mountings and seat stays. The rear carrier stay has a bend with a long and a short side. As with PAE 48 the long side uppermost seems to suit the twin whereas the short side uppermost seems better on the Comet. On some bikes the hinge tommy bar is likely to be wiped off on the first big bump and is best swapped for the long 'D' nut (which is shorter). This rear stay is mounted to the outside of the carrier pivot plate. The pivots on late versions comprised of a fully threaded bolt, 2 plain nuts, washers to taste, bush and locknut. Early bushes were Oilite, later bushes were bronze some flanged, some not. All of them wear quite rapidly and need frequent lubrication. Unfortunately as they are such a hassle to set up and need dismantling to lubricate this is often neglected. Setting up the pivots is this - Bolt, washer, pivot plate (or clamp), washer, nut, nut as locknut, washer(s), bush, Stay over bush, washer(s), Nylocknut and there are six of the B-----s.

Last edited:

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
A better solution is to make a Gordon Griffiths 'sledge'. It fully springs the rear end . Threw away the original Craven carrier, because of this problem of lubrication and wear and never changed it. You can make one in a day with a pipe bender and a friendly welder. Ken

Bob P

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the information Hugo, very helpful.
Your last comment (and there are six of the B------S) suggests there are six pivot points? In the jumble of bits I have there are only 4 plain 1/4" wide bushes, which have an internal 5/16"BSF thread, and the bolts are only long enough for one nut.
The short stay has 7/16" holes both ends and the long stay has 3/8" one end (front seat mounting?) and 5/16" the other end.

Last edited:

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Bob,
Yes 6 pivots. 3 each side. The long stay utilises the seat nose pivot at the front. The other end pivots to the front of the carrier. The short stay pivots from the rear of the carrier at the top and pivots again at its lower end where it clamps onto the mudguard/lifting handle stay. I doubt that your 1/4" bushes were supplied threaded. They were probably tight on the threaded bolt and cut their own thread as they were fitted on. Also as they are tightened up material was probably squashed into the the threads of the bolt. My carrier is currently fitted to my Comet but if you care to PM me your email address I shall take my trusty ruler into the garage and get more accurate info to send you.

Hugo

Bob P

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hugo
The 4 bushes are 7/16" OD and have a well formed complete thread in the bore. They may not be standard? They only fit in both ends of the short stay.
The long stay 3/8" hole fits the front saddle fixing. the other end of the long stay has a 5/16" hole which looks like it was bolted tight with a 5/16" bolt to the front end of the rack!

Bob

Bob P

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the replies and all the pm's and photo's. As you can see I got there. Hugo, the sketches you sent showing all details of the joints deserves to be in the main VOC website so others have access to this information. I could not find it anywhere else. Cheers
Bob
Craven rack.jpg

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the replies and all the pm's and photo's. As you can see I got there. Hugo, the sketches you sent showing all details of the joints deserves to be in the main VOC website so others have access to this information. I could not find it anywhere else. Cheers
Bob
View attachment 1212
Hi Hugo, have bought myself a fairly rough rack and a good set of panniers so wouldn't mind a copy of the drawings that Bob P mentioned you sent him.

Much appreciated mate
Kevin

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Bob
View attachment 1212

Well done Bob. It looks great. Glad I could help. As for my sketches I am happy to pass them on to anyone who wants them but as for putting them on the main website. I don't think I would dare. I am no technical artist and the idea of close scrutiny (humiliation) by the knowledgeable members is terrifying.