PR: Proprietary Items Craven rack dimensions and drawings

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Craig, how is the sidecar project going, thinking of you a few weeks back a local guy bought a C Shadow he also has a Lambo,

craig

VOC Member
Hi David, My sidecar desire had a reality check after considering complete project -
Sidecar purchase
sidecar shipping/customs
sidecar restoration - paint, upholstery, Plexiglas, coverings, wheel rim , respoke, tire, brake, chassis silentbloc, etc.
registration/license/tax
Vincent modification - Brampton/Girdraulic, handle bars, cables, hyd damper, etc
Vincent wheel set for sidecar use
Chain, sprocket

However my desire for Vincent British style period sidecar is still passionately in place.
I guess I need a job.
BusmarSidecars1948ad.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
I am searching for a date for this Craven Advert in The Motor Cycle magazine. At the time I saved this ad , I thought it was 1950.
This is particular for me as the rectangular logo, between the two screw knobs, on the Silver Arrow what I am trying to date please.
Thanks
Craig
Image6.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Here is a closer look at, what I think is, an early Craven rectangle logo. If so, what is the history on this logo plate use?
EarlyCravenLogoPlate1.jpg

nkt267

VOC Member
Here is a closer look at, what I think is, an early Craven rectangle logo. If so, what is the history on this logo plate use?View attachment 17899
I think the addresses might give a better indication of the date. By the looks of it the address on the plate in the photo looks like Eden Grove. did the company move to Sussex Way later?

nkt267

VOC Member
I found an advert in the November 1951 Motor Cycling that gives the address as Sussex way. It also gives a reference to an earlier ad from August 1950. My silver arrows are later, about 1960 i think, with the round badge and locks.

craig

VOC Member
I think this rectangle badge shows -
61 EDEN GROVE
LONDON N.7

I see this Eden Grove address from 1950 thru 1973 in magazine advertising

So my guess is the Sussex Way address must have been early on for couple years from late 1949 , maybe thru 1951. Here is 1955.
1955cravenad2.jpg

Last edited:

b'knighted

VOC Member
The earliest that this Craven advert appeared in MPH was January 1952, MPH 37, page 16
first craven ad.jpg
Should the bottom line be Makers of Accessories for trouble-free travel.?

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Finally was able to procure a set of Craven Golden Arrow with Craven rack. Cold outside, moved Comet inside and fitted today. Probably cant get Comet thru door with Craven on.
I thought the Golden Arrow would look best with the series D fairing.....lots of smooth black gel coat. I need a Fairline top case.....anybody?
20180118_CravenGoldenOnComet.jpg