PR: Proprietary Items Craven rack dimensions and drawings

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was given the rack by a local member. I opted for powder coating rather than paint and cadmium plating.

Harbour Frieght in the states has a great little home powder coating kit. Might be an option?

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Acting in haste, I just purchased a rusty rack for a BMW off eBayUSA.
Looks to be suitable....maybe shine it up and sell if not.
If it fits, I am thinking bead blast and rattle can black.
I am heading for Lowes to purchase 1/4 x 3/4 steel strap.
I am thinking Army surplus container for an immediate top box....upgrade to Craven Snowdon later.
Not planning on burning my fingers or seat upholstery with red hot steel strap, but we will see........
View attachment 13318
That looks very similar to the rack I purchased from Useful in July, except that the tube ends extend further forward on yours. The overall width is 15 3/4", the distance of the flat stock is 9", and the front to back measurement is 10". The hole to hole distance is 5 1/2". I'm betting that your measurements will be the same. I can't see Craven making to many variations on racks but believe the fitting kits are the difference.
Steven

craig

VOC Member
Well Lowes does not stock 1/4 x 3/4 , so I had to order this 1/4 material off EBay.....rather than drive out of town. Now I need the dimension of the #248 piece, short seat link.
Maybe 1/8 x 3/4 .......or 1/8 x 1/2
Craven1971_248.jpg

alscomet

VOC Member
Well is it just me that thinks that most of the racks you see on a Vincent just look so what can I say" Ugly"
there's more metal than in the rest of the bike and most of it seems to hang from the seat fastening surely someone can come up with a more pleasing to the eye carrier that looks the part rather than looks out of place.
It makes you want to send your "stuff that you carry"on by a courier or even stop in a hotel rather than pack a tent.What about a competition to find a solution.

vibrac

VOC Member
surely someone can come up with a more pleasing to the eye carrier that looks the part rather than looks out of place.
For my needs its called a tank bag and I wish we had enough communal clout to get Baglux on board just imagine swapping between bikes without packing and unpacking everything

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Craig the plans I sent you are 1 to 1 scale and you can measure straight off the sheet. I did and worked out ok, just be aware that during fitment the 248 part may need to be adjusted or drilled to suit your seat position.

Ie: Series B RFM vs Series C etc......