Craven Panniers

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Guys,
I have just purchased some Craven Panniers apparently from the 1940s, can anyone tell me what they are made of, it looks familiar but cant put my finger on it...sort of a fibrous looking material dark tan colour with a sort of shine like old bakelite?

Regards
kevin

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
Just looked at a site www.cravens.org.uk who are intending to produce craven luggage, they say that the early panniers were made from compressed fibre board.
I have a pair and they are suseptable to splitting down the corners.

JimR

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Just looked at a site www.cravens.org.uk who are intending to produce craven luggage, they say that the early panniers were made from compressed fibre board.
I have a pair and they are suseptable to splitting down the corners.

JimR

My late pattern Craven Silver Arrow panniers are fibreglass, (i.e. prior to Phil Primmer) The early ones, as Jim says, were made of similar stuff (impregnated fibre board) to the small hard panniers as used on the WD Matchless (I think) in WW2. I have had one of these WD pannier boxes for the last 50 year, still tastefully finished in khaki. It was originally on my C10 with it's partner (long since lost) and then for the last 45 years it has been used as an odds and s--s box and kicked around the garage. It has stood up to this callous treatment remarkably well and is still in one piece.

Last edited: