SL: Series 'D' Enclosures Craven Panniers

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not quite an Enclosure question, but relevant to a Series D Comet (replica) naked, does anyone have any experience of fitting Craven Pannier boxes to a D rear frame, I pretty much constantly carry a pillion passenger who probably would reject soft throw over pannier bags whereby she would have to sit on the central connecting strap, also the boxes would need to sit clear of her legs when bent in the sitting position, it looks like a complicated welding job to me, attached to the rear frame, although I would prefer a bolted on arrangement, any previous experience or suggestions would be much appreciated.

erik

VOC Member
IMG_0599[1].JPG

John Cone

VOC Member
Cravens as fitted to my Prince, I made the carrier many moons ago. The mounting bolt holes are already on the inside of the fibreglass in the steel frame.

Attachments

• IMG_6056.JPG
    IMG_6056.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6059.JPG
    IMG_6059.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5216.JPG
    IMG_5216.JPG
    364.4 KB · Views: 20

b'knighted

VOC Member
Not quite an Enclosure question, but relevant to a Series D Comet (replica) naked, does anyone have any experience of fitting Craven Pannier boxes to a D rear frame, I pretty much constantly carry a pillion passenger who probably would reject soft throw over pannier bags whereby she would have to sit on the central connecting strap, also the boxes would need to sit clear of her legs when bent in the sitting position, it looks like a complicated welding job to me, attached to the rear frame, although I would prefer a bolted on arrangement, any previous experience or suggestions would be much appreciated.
A49F6DE6-BCDD-455D-ADCA-74A9DB41291E.png
0E3D09C9-8ABE-4002-92ED-1435FCB0F3F2.png

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Another alternative -fixed and suspended from seat base with 4 big bolts through base into captive nuts in plate under foam, easily removed in 2 mins, no rear top box rack, just a grab rail. Placing the Silver arrows slightly further forward than would be with a standard Craven rack, tested and fine for pillion too.

Attachments

• E16F8571-9266-41CA-8A34-8B987AF7B8C1.jpeg
    E16F8571-9266-41CA-8A34-8B987AF7B8C1.jpeg
    480.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 559BEB84-DA71-40CE-9332-28641C22A6BB.jpeg
    559BEB84-DA71-40CE-9332-28641C22A6BB.jpeg
    714.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Another alternative -fixed and suspended from seat base with 4 big bolts through base into captive nuts in plate under foam, easily removed in 2 mins, no rear top box rack, just a grab rail. Placing the Silver arrows slightly further forward than would be with a standard Craven rack, tested and fine for pillion too.
Jez, Thanks for the suggestion, but we are talking Series D Comet here, I don't think I would want to be hanging pannier boxes of the base of a D type seat base, even if it were possible.

flxible

VOC Member
Jez-
I would be interested to see any pics of your frame, or any further descriptions of what you did, to mount your bags from the seat.
I've got a pair of small Cravens (that I've forgotten the name of..) on the shelves that I'd like to mount similarly, and so would like to understand more clearly your method, these are only about 15" square and 5" deep.

My apology to all if this query intrudes on the current flow of this thread.
Many thanks-
George

Attachments

• IMG-3479.jpg
    IMG-3479.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 10

mercurycrest

VOC Member
I mounted the front of the craven rack at two points on the top of the sub frame and the bottom with rods to the passenger footage mounts.

IMG_1534.JPG
IMG_1535.JPG

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Jez-
I would be interested to see any pics of your frame, or any further descriptions of what you did, to mount your bags from the seat.
I've got a pair of small Cravens (that I've forgotten the name of..) on the shelves that I'd like to mount similarly, and so would like to understand more clearly your method, these are only about 15" square and 5" deep.

My apology to all if this query intrudes on the current flow of this thread.
Many thanks-
George
Will pm you diagram and photos -will work just as well for a C as a D with slight mods, just need a competent engineer/welder -pretty simple job really, strong as anything else, lighter solution and perfect for smaller panniers.