Craven pannier set

piggywig

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Craven pannier fittings,
My bike was once fitted with a craven set sometime in the sixties similar to the set shown in Forty Years On--Misc article no.6 ...............but mine has not been used for a very long time. It is now prepared and ready to fit again and comprises of two long stays that connect to the nose of seat and support the front of the rack and two short stays that go from the rear of the rack to about 4" down from the rear those long stays. There appears to be two brackets missing that originally supported the rear of the carrier and were attached to the lifting handle stays. If anyone has this type it would be much appreciated if the rear support lifting handle brackets could be measured and the place that they attach to the rear of the carrier noted, so that I can manufacture the missing ones correctly as they must move to a certain extent with the suspension. And should there be bushes in the fixing holes? Thanks.
Col.

Newbs1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi ET43 Phil, I have recently acquired two craven side panniers for my series C Rapide. I would appreciate it if you could oblige and send me any photographs and details you have. I am looking to get them fitted however i am starting from scratch with no information. Appreciate any help.
Regards, Geoff
geoff.newbery@ntlworld.com

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
The Craven kit was fully sprung, is not affected by wheel movement. There is much to be said for commissioning a much simpler structure...

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Sorry Tom, you are wrong, the original Craven is a semi sprung set up and moved with the seat, albeit at a lesser rate than the seat moved at the rear. The first generation was affixed to the seat base just behind the tool box held in place with three wood screws! The second coming is as used by most Craven owners today, there are a few modified racks out there, and it still wore out the brass bushes rapidly. The second generation racks for vins had a rectangular side pieces to take the Silver Arrow cases, and the Vee rack came later when folks started to fit the likes of Comet, Safari, Dolomite, etc,etc panniers to their machines.That is why WCS evolved the tubular rack with 3/4" tube and large pb bushes. This went to Draganfly who appear to have done nothing with it. And while we are at it, the California top box which experts told me was developed in the U.K. was in fact evolved in, guess where, California. I know because I had the original art work and attendant paperwork that went with it. This came about because the Jet helmet would not fit into the largest box that Craven made at the time. It was the English who cut this down as I presume that some vertically challenged chap couldn't get his leg over. The last one I made went to John Phillip. Also, Craven items were sold in Australia by a chap called John Galvin, Galvo, who at one time was a Vincent man. Some of these products had detail differences to the U.K.products. Well, there you have it, and now I'd better see to Geoff Newbery. ET43

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Phil is right. The only thing in favour of the original Craven rack and Silver Arrow panniers is that they are pretty. The rack is indeed semi-sprung adding another six bushes to the plethora of bushes and pivot points already in the rear suspension. As Phil says the bushes are short lived. The rear most arms clamp onto the lifting handle stays with somewhat agricultural clamps and if overloaded tend to bend the lifting handle stays. The hinge tommy bar has to be discarded or the stay will clout it. The rack has no lateral rigidity. The panniers themselves have a very small capacity, the side facing dropdown lid is awkward and insecure. They are not in the least watertight and the interiors have a number of projecting rivets and nuts that will mangle any contents in no time. With the paniers removed there are two threaded bolts projecting from each side of the rack that will catch and rip your clothes whenever you walk past the machine. Having said all that they are still pretty, which is why they are still attached to my Comet.

Hugo

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
Thanks to all those who have answered, many by email, and especially ET 43 (Phil) who has supplied much useful info. regarding fixings. Being perhaps a typical Vincent owner I shall continue to experiment with and adapt all things, but at least I now know the pannier makers intended method.
Mine simply hung from enlarged seat bolts for years without the rear brackets, and was marginally better in that it took slightly longer to reduce the contents to the usual fine dust without damaging the lifting handle! As Hugo said, if the aim is just to look good this style of pannier does the job.
Col.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
I wouldn't dare to argue: if you didn't know, who else would!
I have seen a "fully sprung" Craven rack but it scarcely matters since I made my own fully sprung one. I know it was "a child of its time" but the fixings to fit a one-size-fits-none-very-well Craven rack to a Vincent always come to mind when I cross the Forth Road Bridge and see the rail bridge covered in scaffolding!

Sorry Tom, you are wrong, the original Craven is a semi sprung set up and moved with the seat, albeit at a lesser rate than the seat moved at the rear. The first generation was affixed to the seat base just behind the tool box held in place with three wood screws! The second coming is as used by most Craven owners today, there are a few modified racks out there, and it still wore out the brass bushes rapidly. The second generation racks for vins had a rectangular side pieces to take the Silver Arrow cases, and the Vee rack came later when folks started to fit the likes of Comet, Safari, Dolomite, etc,etc panniers to their machines.That is why WCS evolved the tubular rack with 3/4" tube and large pb bushes. This went to Draganfly who appear to have done nothing with it. And while we are at it, the California top box which experts told me was developed in the U.K. was in fact evolved in, guess where, California. I know because I had the original art work and attendant paperwork that went with it. This came about because the Jet helmet would not fit into the largest box that Craven made at the time. It was the English who cut this down as I presume that some vertically challenged chap couldn't get his leg over. The last one I made went to John Phillip. Also, Craven items were sold in Australia by a chap called John Galvin, Galvo, who at one time was a Vincent man. Some of these products had detail differences to the U.K.products. Well, there you have it, and now I'd better see to Geoff Newbery. ET43