Craven pannier keys

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Among the many keys of unknown purpose in my drawer, there isn't one that fits my Craven Dolomite panniers which have toggle locks. The keys I recollect (going back 30 years...) were rudimentary, a slightly bent piece of metal with a single ward on it. Does anyone have one spare, or that they could lend so I could make a copy? This is neither for originality nor security, it's just so that the lids won't come adrift if I hit a big enough bump.

Henry Martini

Non-VOC Member
Craven keys

Hi Tom, Just looked at my key and I belive all craven boxes used the same Chaney made in England locks and the Name Chaney is stamped on my key
along with the number 40 I belive that not only did all Craven paniers use the
same lock but Key No 40 also opened all Craven paniers. I think you should be able to get a key from a any old established Luggage shop that is still there.If you can't get fixed up from somebody in England I will try and find a
spare one that I know I have but at my age can no longer remember where I put it,but I do know that I have a spare one and will send it to you. Let me know.

Regards Henry

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Craven panniers lock keys.

Hi Tom,
Craven used two key numbers, No. 39 being the first used and then No. 40. I have a few spare No. 40 keys and will send you one if you can remember if this is the right one. As far as I am aware the No. 39 is no longer used as the firm making the locks have dropped this from their range.
For new locks, try Draganfly Motorcycles in Bungay, Suffolk as they are the people who bought the Craven moulds etc, from me.
Cheers,
Phil Primmer

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Craven locks

Related story: I once locked myself out of my Ford Cortina outside the post office. Suspecting that ignition keys were not particularly sophisticated, I asked everyone else who stopped if I could borrow their car keys. The third shopper's keys opened my car. He had a Vauxhall Cavalier.......
I don't think Craven keys were even THAT sophisticated.

Phil: I'd like to take you up on your offer of a number 40 - my panniers are later rather than earlier. The locks are OK, I just want to be able to make sure they stay closed.

If you send a personal message to me, I'll let you know my address.

Last edited by a moderator: