Craven Carriers

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Has anyone got photos or mounting instructions for a set of '60's Craven carriers for a Vincent.The type I'm looking for have a mounting on to the footrest plates and 'swinging' joints at the rear seat mount..John

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Craven rack

As a previous owner of the Craven Equipment business, I'd be interested in seeing a picture of such a rack, as to the best of my knowledge, they never made a rack that fitted to the Vincent foot rest plates. I had posession of over 350 works drawings, and there was only ever one rack, with varying side pieces, that was made top fit the Vincent. The very first rack was slightly different in as much that it did not fix to the nose of the saddle, and I've never sen one. Tony Wheatley was the only chap that I know of who made a fully sprung carrier that had a swinging link which allowed the friction dampers to be fitted withou increasing the spring rate, I believe. I have a vast photographic archive of Craven racks,fittings, fasteners and general hardware if this helps, but would need more specific info to look for suitable images. I sold all the Craven items to Draganfly Motorcycles two years ago, and to date, they have done nothing with it. They also have the jigs, etc, for the rack that I designed which worked on the same mounting principle, so it looks as that is dead too.
Phil ET43 Primmer

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
I have the rack and frames from mine too , definitely a floating mount arrangement. Haven't looked at them for years so I need to dig them out to remind myself !

indianken

Non-VOC Member
Phil,

I would be very interested in seeing a photo or perhaps a drawing of the type of sprung mount you designed as I will soon be trying to building one for a friends Rapide. Much better than me trying to, "reinvent the wheel".
Sad that Dragonfly seems to be dragging their feet on the Craven business.

Thanks,
Ken Smith

As a previous owner of the Craven Equipment business, I'd be interested in seeing a picture of such a rack, as to the best of my knowledge, they never made a rack that fitted to the Vincent foot rest plates. I had posession of over 350 works drawings, and there was only ever one rack, with varying side pieces, that was made top fit the Vincent. The very first rack was slightly different in as much that it did not fix to the nose of the saddle, and I've never sen one. Tony Wheatley was the only chap that I know of who made a fully sprung carrier that had a swinging link which allowed the friction dampers to be fitted withou increasing the spring rate, I believe. I have a vast photographic archive of Craven racks,fittings, fasteners and general hardware if this helps, but would need more specific info to look for suitable images. I sold all the Craven items to Draganfly Motorcycles two years ago, and to date, they have done nothing with it. They also have the jigs, etc, for the rack that I designed which worked on the same mounting principle, so it looks as that is dead too.
Phil ET43 Primmer

Peter Stokes

VOC Member
Cravens carrier

I have put a photo in the miscellaneous 2009 section of the carrier on my old Rapide. Hope it helps.

Peter Stokes

VOC Member
Cravens carrier continued...

I realise that the carrier might be not the type you describe, but it may help to eliminate some wrong parts.

indianken

Non-VOC Member
Peter,
Thanks for the photo. I think I have most of a set of the mounts around here someplace.
Now if I can just find someplace......?**
Cheers,
Ken

I realise that the carrier might be not the type you describe, but it may help to eliminate some wrong parts.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
craven frame

When I bought my rapide the seller reckoned west country sidecars as a source to purchase a suitable frame for the Panniers+ top box. Hope this helps, Roy.