Covid Hair

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I can still grow a lot of hair, but not so much on the head.
In April 2017 I had a heart ablation to cure heart afibrillation.
An incision is made in the groin and a tiny camera is threaded through an artery into the right side of the heart. Another incision is made in the groin for another catheter to thread into the heart. This one has a laser on the end. It's used to burn heart tissue in order to create scar tissue. The scar tissue acts as an insulator to impede electrical impulses. They actually come in on the right side and then burn a small hole in the septum ( separates chambers) to get through to the left side where the scar tissue needs to be created.
Also, a larger camera is shoved down your throat to provide big picture magnetic imaging of the catheter movement from behind the heart. So quite an operation with considerable risk.
For the incisions, they need to shave the groin immediately pre-op.
A very quiet nurse did the deed and it took quite awhile. She shaved some hair, then used sticky pads on the palm of her gloved hand to gather it up. Then she shaved some more and so on..
She must have used 30 stickum pads. Finally it was done.
I thought I should say something, so I managed a weak " Thank you" as she was
walking away. She turned and with a bit of a smirk and said " Well it was a LOT of hair".

She probably didn't expect a comeback but I hit her with " 'Well it was a COLD winter!"
And she just about fell over laughing. Then all of the other nurses started laughing and then she rushed into the afib lab to tell the waiting Surgeon and Anesthetist what I had said.
A few minutes later they wheeled me in, everyone is laughing. The surgeon asked "is there is still snow and ice in Aldergrove in April?" They really ran with it and we were all having a good laugh, although I was starting to worry just a wee bit. Meanwhile, they were getting ready to make those incisions, thread those catheters and do some precise burning of heart tissue....having everyone laughing....maybe not the best overall plan on my part!

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would have suggested that while they’re up there, have a look around and see if you can find my dignity.