COVID-19 Fuel Tank

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Stretching the centre starts the curl, so pleats form at the edges. The pleats are gathered together by hitting them softly with a leather slapper, curved anvil underneath.
I read about then made a little tool that will put extra pleats in if an insufficient number form on their own. It's ok on steel but leaves deep marks in Al, so I didn't use it here.
Some fellows use a pedal shrinker on Al. It's a small unit that can be mounted on the back of the English wheel. I might go for one of those.
For now I'm doing the shrinking operation the hard way.
The end result is the mudguard edges are thickened from sheet thickness of .063" to about .070" and the centre ends up at about .058" +-
Glen

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
A bit more progress, the mudguard is polished and mounted. I stared at the front end for a long time trying to come up with an attractive, light weight and secure way to do the mounting with the GSXR mount points, one of which is broken.
I walked by the Rapide and it sort of winked at me.
This is similar to the Vincent mudguard mounting method except done in Al. tubing rather than steel. A small gusset was added to stiffen the assembly.
IMG_20210312_184143.jpg

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
Stretching the centre starts the curl, so pleats form at the edges. The pleats are gathered together by hitting them softly with a leather slapper, curved anvil underneath.
I read about then made a little tool that will put extra pleats in if an insufficient number form on their own. It's ok on steel but leaves deep marks in Al, so I didn't use it here.
Some fellows use a pedal shrinker on Al. It's a small unit that can be mounted on the back of the English wheel. I might go for one of those.
For now I'm doing the shrinking operation the hard way.
The end result is the mudguard edges are thickened from sheet thickness of .063" to about .070" and the centre ends up at about .058" +-
Glen
Pity you are not near me, i have a Piccolo metal former.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
That would probably speed things up, although there would be some time spent learning how to use the machine.
So far I've managed with the tools I have here, although I have considered purchasing a pneumatic former of some type.
Then I read that TAB Classics, Evan Wilcox and Ron Fournier all do their professional metalshaping using the same basic tools I have here. So no " if only I had a..." excuses for me!

Glen

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Substantially complete now. After some shake down miles it will get disassembled for frame painting.
I'm still welding tangs on here and there, cutting bits off. Cut off the old steering stops yesterday - 2.4 oz.
Finished weight is 310 pounds with oil but no fuel.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Some numbers from Dyno hill-
Standard 850 Commando manages to pull to 113 kmh, full bore, top gear when accelerating from 100 kmh at bottom.
The lightweight 920 pulled to 131 kmh from 100 at bottom, same gearing.
In Imperial measure the 850 accelerates at 1.2 feet per second per second on the hill.
The 920 accelerates at 3.2 feet per second per second on the hill.
The hill grade is 12.5%
On day I will add ballast to the 920 to make it equal to the 850 weight, then test. That will show how much of the improved acceleration is due to the 920 mod.

Glen

Herman-Handlebars

Non-VOC Member
A bit more progress, the mudguard is polished and mounted. I stared at the front end for a long time trying to come up with an attractive, light weight and secure way to do the mounting with the GSXR mount points, one of which is broken.
I walked by the Rapide and it sort of winked at me.
This is similar to the Vincent mudguard mounting method except done in Al. tubing rather than steel. A small gusset was added to stiffen the assembly.View attachment 41164

It's been great to follow your progress and see it finished and the bike wearing its new finery

Could I ask what grade aluminium you used for the tank and mudguard? I've seen 1050 h14 is commonly used.