COVID-19 Fuel Tank

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks Neil, it makes sense that this has already been thought through.
We have a number of Vincents fitted with oversized tanks here on the Westcoast. They are a good size (20litres?) and look quite different from a standard tank.
Perhaps it impossible to keep the appearance similar to stock and add a significant amount of capacity.

Glen

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Hi Bernd
Yes, that's a breather hole.
The vent tube seems to be a race bike/competition bike thing.

Glen
I found with my Enots cap, which appears similar to yours, that fuel escaped through that vent hole under braking when the tank was full. The hole appears to be sized for the vast consumption of alcohol fuels!
I unscrewed the seal and inserted a piece of brass shim between the rubber seal and lower plate. I also set the 2 holes 180 degrees. This created an extra baffle which prevented the fuel escaping. In spite of the indication in the pic that the top hole is blocked by the shim, in fact the radius of the plate ensures that adequate air passes through it.
I confirmed that I hadn't created a restriction for the incoming air by taking it for a quick blast to 100MPH, no fuel starvation! ;)

Attachments

• 20200517_172914_resized.jpg
    20200517_172914_resized.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200517_200655_resized.jpg
    20200517_200655_resized.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200517_200716_resized.jpg
    20200517_200716_resized.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 25

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Thats good to know, should this one give trouble.
I installed a similar cap on the Egli tank and that has worked well.
It vents well too as turning on the two big Pingel taps results in something approaching a garden hose flow of fuel!

Glen

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Thats good to know, should this one give trouble.
I installed a similar cap on the Egli tank and that has worked well.
It vents well too as turning on the two big Pingel taps results in something approaching a garden hose flow of fuel!

Glen
I guess that 1330 motor at 100 MPH drinks a bit!:D

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
It does! Even a little worse than a 1330 as it's a 1360:)
I read about the 1960s Harley flat trackers suffering fuel starvation which energized Mr. Pingel to design a high flow fuel tap.
Definitely overkill but I turn both of them on.
Strangely enough, that bike cruising at 65-70 mph gets 60-65 mpg, which is about 10-15% better than the Rapide.

Glen

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Oh, 1360, apologies.:mad: Terry Prince squish band combustion chambers? I would expect good fuel consumption from them.
I read in the Riders Handbook of 70 MPG figures and hear of people whose Vincents do that. I appear to have done something wrong with my engine build. I can squeeze 200 miles out of my 20 litre tank if I keep it below 70 MPH.
Robinson MK III cams set at 4-5 Deg equal opening, 28 mm Dellorto carbs, no barrel spacers. The latter left the piston crowns above the top of the barrel so I machined a gentle bevel on the piston crowns to make the edges flush with barrel. Maybe that was my mistake? Never successfully managed to measure the compression ratio but am confident that it's above 7.5:1

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
They are TP heads at 11 to 1, 41 mm Dellortos.
Hopefully it's not setup too lean.
The plugs look OK.
55mpg imp seems to be a safe number for a 998 twin. 200 miles on a 20 litre tank must be right about there.

Glen

Last edited:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
What gallons are you pair talking about, imperial or US? Vincent tank is 3.25 imperial or 15 Ltrs. Four years ago Annual Rally up north it was 420 miles for me and carried all my own fuel. Full tank and two 7Ltr strap ons. 215 miles before turning on reserve. The two small panniers were initially going to be fuel tanks of 12Ltrs each aiming for a day run of 500 + miles. Keeping the weight lower than making the lower five inches of the large panniers for tools tubes & spares in draws that pulled out backwards keeping everything within twenty-eight inches, the width of Vincent bars (but not footrests) fold them in when filtering along with bar-end mirrors with the hazard lights on alongside steady blue lights, and watch the traffic open up for you.
bananaman.

P1060993.jpg

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Marcus, 210 miles on a standard tankful with that load?
Do you have those cheater electric hub motors fitted?:)
I've ridden with a lot of other Vincents and we all seem to get roughly the same fuel economy +- a few mpg.

Glen

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Since 1990 after having my main bearing housings rebored by Herve' Hamond, on his big mill plus a complete overhaul with bloody heavy Alfa Romeo low expansion pistons 9:1 ratio, lead-free seats, Honda auxiliary oil pump, exhaust lift mechanism refitted so twin plugs could be used. 12 V Bosch dynamo cut down with eventually smaller sprocket after inclining the dynamo about 10 degrees. After it was done it still returned about 50 to 55 MPG and I still called the stops when travelling with Herve' Le Manach'e (002) as he had a "D"Rap with 18 Ltr tank when I went twin plug heads he called the stops and I was always doing 70 plus MPG, Bill Easter in 95 NZ we were doing about 200 miles a day both two up and camping gear I would fill up once a day and John Heugel would be decanting a couple of Ltrs every so often from his large tank BMW, most I ever did was 245 in France solo to bone dry and all vapour used up too.
Ignition is around 24 to 25 degrees with the very economical Grosset trigger unit and often wonder if additional plugs would reduce the ignition even further, as the closer to TDC the less negative forces applied. If one plug can reduce it by 10 degrees then add either side of the valves (four !) of say 8mm diameter! how much more could it be retarded? Is the headstrong enough for additional holes or thick enough?
bananaman.