COVID-19 Fuel Tank

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I was concerned about surge with the Egli tank but in the end decided against baffles. The saddle on that tank is very deep. Same with this tank.
The plan was to add fuel foam if needed. Fuel foam is what the drifters use to prevent slosh, apparently it is more effective than baffles.
Fortunately the Egli tank didn't require anything. I've done about 10,000 miles with it now, 5 thousand on the Rapide engine and 5 thousand with the big engine. Hasn't missed a beat even under hard acceleration/ deceleration and I don't feel any sloshing when cornering.
So I'll do the same with this one, try it and see, then add foam if needed. Capacity is reduced by about 5% with foam, not an issue with 22 litres.

Glen

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
All ready for the first scratch.
What a mess in the shop.
Was tempted to setup outside but the warm shop was too inviting.
IMG_20201227_150452.jpg
IMG_20201227_150824.jpg
IMG_20201227_150510.jpg
IMG_20201227_150656.jpg

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Well it should be hanging on the wall with the others. I have one just like yours. I will bring it over to add to your collection. Now how about making some 20 gallon Vincent tanks? I could use one so I can get more than 50 miles before I run out of petrol.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I've thought about taking the Vincent shape and just adding a little here and there. Have to be careful or the nice shape will be gone. The stock Vincent shape is really lovely and quite unique.
If it was just a little bigger, even 17 litres....

Glen

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
I agree the Vincent tank has an appealing shape. How about 20 liters. What is the capacity of Danny and Robert's tanks? Their tanks are ugly but practical.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I believe those are about 20 litres.
The tank above is 22 litres , which is surprising as it's very close to the 14.5 litre Thruxton tank in outer size and shape. I did make it 1" taller, which I think looks fine. The big difference is in the tunnel size, picked up a lot there.
No such luck with a Vincent tank, it already has the optimal bottom shape.

Glen