correct trans oil

sixpack

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
good day to all----i recently purchased a 1950 rapide------and im lost as to capacity and correct weight of oil for the transmit ion ----please help----new member ---bob

ogrilp400

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Oil Levels

G'day Bob,
A warm welcome to the realms of Vincent ownership. The gearbox is lubricated with two pints of oil. This will bring it to the lower level of the flat on the gearbox.
The primary drive is lubricate with enough oil to bring the level up to the level plug on the primary drive cover. Even this can be reduced leaving just enough for the run under the clutch sprocket to dip into.

Phelps

john998

VOC Member
Correct oil

Hello, I have always used engine oil in both primary case and gear box, in my case SAE40 oil.
The gearbox level should be kept just on the bottom of the flat of on the dip stick, if you have a Standard clutch as this helps prevent the oil working through to the clutch. John.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
New Owner

Be aware that a British pint is 20% more than a US pint.

As a new owner you should join the Vincent Owners Club and meet up with your new friends in the Southern California Section and buy and read [FONT=&quot]"VINCENT MOTOR CYCLES" - PAUL RICHARDSON, SERIES "B/C" SPARE PARTS LIST., "RIDERS HANDBOOK", "KNOW THY BEAST" - E.M.G. STEVENS., and "WORKSHOP INSTRUCTIONS" available from[/FONT]
http://www.shop.vintech.co.uk/acatalog/CATALOGUE_Books_2.html and http://www.vincentspares.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Accessories___literature_1.html

From a fellow 1950 Rapide owner

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Judging by his screen name (it closely matches an email address I have), I think he was a member of our section last year.

Last edited:

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
2 Pints only and no more! - and EP 90

Hi,

Don't fill it beyond the very bottom of the dipstick or you'll be overfilling. I use EP 90 and have been very satisfied with it - 4000 miles and it still looks like new in the gearbox.

Stuart

good day to all----i recently purchased a 1950 rapide------and im lost as to capacity and correct weight of oil for the transmit ion ----please help----new member ---bob

ET43

Non-VOC Member
gearbox oil level

Some people might remember that a gearbox dipstick is I believe, part of a spoke and is screwed into the handle. Therefor it may have been disturbed at some time and the flat portion may not give the correct reading of two uk pints showing on the bottom of the flat. My solution is to rub the flat area with a wet and dry production paper, paint it with a matt black paint so that the shiny oil shows up against it. Put 1 3/4 pints in, check the level and keep adding small recorded amounts until the oil shows on the flat. Literature says this should be done on the rear stand. Sidecar blokes should take special care as I reckon that the level would be well over two pints to record on the dip stick flat and if that is the case, I suggest lenghtening the stick to suit.
Cheers,
ET43

sixpack

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
trans--oil

many thanks-----now i just need the conversion IMP--US pints---looks like a trip back to the Google button-----bob