Correct paring of carb bodies

Eddie Foreman

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All,

Looking for some help and advice on pairing some carburettor bodies. I've 4 carburettor bodies in total. They have the followings markings:

1. 276DQ/1DV
  2. 276CH/2DS
  3. 276CH/2DS
  4. 276EP/1B
Looking on the Amal site, it appears that I can pair 1 and 2, or 1 and 3. Not sure about number 4. Would be great to also know what the numbers refer to, front rear etc. Sorry if this seems a simple questions. But just starting on a build, and so very much learning on the job.

Thanks in advance.

Eddie

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All,

Looking for some help and advice on pairing some carburettor bodies. I've 4 carburettor bodies in total. They have the followings markings:

1. 276DQ/1DV
  2. 276CH/2DS
  3. 276CH/2DS
  4. 276EP/1B
Looking on the Amal site, it appears that I can pair 1 and 2, or 1 and 3. Not sure about number 4. Would be great to also know what the numbers refer to, front rear etc. Sorry if this seems a simple questions. But just starting on a build, and so very much learning on the job.

Thanks in advance.

Eddie
1. Fitted to "B" Meteors and front of "C" Rapides.
2. and 3. Fitted to rear of "B" and "C" Rapides.
4. Fitted to Douglas Plus 80 and Plus 90
The numbers have confused me too. Type 276 (or just Type 26 or pre war Type 76 and 6) are supposed to be 1 1/16" (26 mm?) . Type 289 and 229 (pre-war Type 89) are 1 1/8" . Maybe someone can supply more info.

Eddie Foreman

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Albervin,

Just what I was looking for. Have cleaned and matched a pair for a "C" Rapide. Again a similar question for the float chamber body. There are some markings (will give them a clean, and provide them later). Do I need to match them up? Are there different sizes and which carb uses the chamber with the top feed?

Thanks,
Eddie

Eddie

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Some chambers are perpendicular and some have an angle. These details are often hidden in the code. Pre war Comets/Meteors are 15º and the front float bowl on a pre war rapide is horizontal across the plane. Top feed for post war machines is the rear carb (276CH/2DS 289/2DS) on a twin. Sizes are in the first 3 digits. For more detail send me a pm please.