Correct Headlamp Lens

Ray Bear

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi all, can some one please advise me as to the correct headlamp lens for my 48 Rapide, it currently has a 6 1/2 Lucas diamond pattern lens & this is not correct & have been told that it should be a domed fluted lens but also told that its meant to be a domed fluted lens with a 3 inch circle of finer flutes in the centre with the miller logo , a little confused & hope some one can point me in the right direction ... Thanks.Bill

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all, can some one please advise me as to the correct headlamp lens for my 48 Rapide, it currently has a 6 1/2 Lucas diamond pattern lens & this is not correct & have been told that it should be a domed fluted lens but also told that its meant to be a domed fluted lens with a 3 inch circle of finer flutes in the centre with the miller logo , a little confused & hope some one can point me in the right direction ... Thanks.Bill
Bill, both types of lens are available from a vintage oil lamp e-bay dealer in Victoria for $10 or so. He had them made in India and are near as damnit perfect. I bought a couple of sets and no concours judge would pick the difference. Those who told you should, in fairness, point you in the right direction. If all else fails there is the VOCS.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
It's not just the lens, you need the 8" Miller headlamp, with the rim retained by a spring-loaded clip at the bottom !!

Albervin

VOC Member
No Brian, he intimates he has a 6 1/2" shell/rim with a Lucas glass. That is easily and cheaply solved. If on the other hand he has a totally wrong shell, rim, lens, ammeter, switch and reflector.. that is an altogether different can of worms and far more costly; say, about $400-$600.

Albervin

VOC Member
Yes I agree but .... nothing is definite with Vincents. I have Australian magazines from 1948 with pictures of Shadows with "saucepan speedos" and alloy brake excluders. Also 1948 pictures of Rapides with "small" headlights but multi linkage gear change. Generally though I think a Brampton forked bike looks best with a big headlight. If anyone has a correct or even correct looking lens for my 1948 "B" with 8" light then please send me a pm. Thanks.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I cannot vouch for the glass but in MPH several years ago there was a mention that there was a light unit from a Volvo truck which fitted into an 8" headlamp and also allowed the use of correctly focussed modern bulbs. No use if you are still on 6 volts but otherwise I would always want a good light even if the glass did not look original.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
This is the Volvo truck unit, it will take halogen bulbs, of course you could use a 6v one. It has 'VOLVO' cast in the glass at the bottom, I Araldited an 'HRD' cutout badge over that !!
TEV140HEVER2006.jpg

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Yeah !! It's a great double safety feature - blow the horn AND automatically decelerate at the same time !! It's a trick I learnt when I fitted Maserati air horns to my first Vincent back in 1965
MUV7661968.jpg