Correct Headlamp Lens

Ray Bear

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks to all for the helpfull replies, my bike is a very early 48 with a very low 400 engine number & I tend to think it was built in a transitional period as it has a number of items that are 47 such as steel brake drums & not cast a 3 1/2 inch miller instead of a 3, and other items I have noticed so I assume the small head lamp is correct & am led to believe that it should be the fluted lens not the cats eye or diamond.. I do like the look of the larger light & if I come across a reasonable one may go that way but i think my lamp mount brackets will also not be correct & require replacement ?? it never ends .. Thanks again Bill

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I still think that 8 inch headlamps look better on Bramptons. my brother swapped his 6 1/2" for an 8" and it transformed the look of his Meteor..john

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Yes I agree but .... nothing is definite with Vincents. I have Australian magazines from 1948 with pictures of Shadows with "saucepan speedos" and alloy brake excluders. Also 1948 pictures of Rapides with "small" headlights but multi linkage gear change. Generally though I think a Brampton forked bike looks best with a big headlight. If anyone has a correct or even correct looking lens for my 1948 "B" with 8" light then please send me a pm. Thanks.

If you've got a copy of "Vincent-HRD" by Peter Carrick, study the double-page spread inside the front cover. Not all those B's have 8" headlamps; maybe that the Works fitted whatever Miller's sent them.

greg burt

Non-VOC Member
My Dad and his Mate both had 48 Rapides one with a 61/2" inch and the other with a 8"inch
Greg