Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
At Shadow Lake in 1977, Bill Hancock amazed us with his swimming each morning in that frigid lake.

ericg

VOC Member
Stopped long ago daily swimming in the English Channel Eric, I did love open swimming doing a mile or more daily after July weather permitting, the yearly event was Plaidy beach to Looe Island with brother Harvey giving him a ten-minute start and arriving ten minutes early on Island beach trying to fend off the aggressive female warden saying I won't walk any further on the beach just waiting for my brother to arrive. It's a nature reserve.
The longest swim is Looe to Polperro about 4.5 miles in two hours five minutes being my best time than 2 hours 35mins for RNLI four days later with a wet suit shortie 1989 then again 2005 in 2 Hours 17 mins after I returned from the annual rally at Ugthorp Park 17 years later maintaining 59 strokes a minute from start to finish Harvey's wife Ann was in the safety boat timing me. About 7,500 strokes.
My last swim in 2010 on sister Mary's birthday 9th September was a three-mile swim from Down Derry to Looe 2 hours 25mins worst swim I've ever done an N.W. wind blew up but being offshore leaving the sea reasonably calm but producing white horses, taking on so much water I felt I was peeing continuously, nearly throwing in the towel several times. But the feeling of satisfaction walking up Looe beach alongside the Banjo Pier is something I will remember when I'm dying.
The reason I did it in the first place was for sister Mary as she could swim and play in the sea all day without feeling the cold. I was jealous. The Channel was always there but the time & money required to do it was prohibitive.
September is one of the warmest sea temperature months of the year and 1981 was the last year that the day multiplying the month equalled the year in the last century. She lived in Polperro, I didn't make it that year and she died in 1984 but the dream lived on for her.
Now it's taking me 25 mins to swim 300 meters in a 23-degree Celcius 10-meter heated pool. No longer a pretty sight.
bananaman
I can appreciate achievements in sport and this is really impressive Marcus. Your dear sister should have been proud of you.
Cheers.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I first met Marcus in 1966, seems an awful long time ago now, back then he seemed more aquatic than terrestrial, for someone like myself that could barely save my own life in the deep end of a swimming pool Marcus was an awesome sight, a bit like an amalgamation of Jonny Weissmuller and Charles Atlas, whilst in our swimming attire I tried never to stand to close to him to avoid comparison, as Marcus now states he is not able to perform the endurance swimming feats that he was once capable of, but he still remains one of the nicest people that I have ever met, oh and by the way I also include Christine in the last sentence, not sure how good Christine is at swimming though.
PHOTO-2020-02-09-21-15-43.jpg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Where did you dig that photo out from can't make out where it is but must be before father died and that was 1994.
She beets me hands down now and she only does Trudgeon (side stroke that is ) and occasionally breast but moves better than me now.

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
My son, who is a cardiologist, phoned me because he had instructions for the hospitals where he works, the French Ministry of Health has cancelled all his coronography interventions. Please note the virus could migrate very well… the figures are far below the potential reality, children can carry the virus, people over 65 can suffer more from the virus (7% of those infected and 14% beyond 70 years) are a risk of death, take care of yourself
According to an official advice of the European Ministry of Health, you should stay at home, if anyhow possible,
and have sex only with your wife, until the risk is over

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
According to an official advice of the European Ministry of Health, you should stay at home, if anyhow possible,
and have sex only with your wife, until the risk is over
Dear Little Honda,
Thank you for bringing this back on subject.
Did you ever build that Shadow starting with a spare carb.?

Ray

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Sale:
Little machine building company.

Not much to do anymore.

Owner wants to go in motors

Anybody? Out There?

Status
Not open for further replies.