Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominique2

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My son, who is a cardiologist, phoned me because he had instructions for the hospitals where he works, the French Ministry of Health has cancelled all his coronography interventions. Please note the virus could migrate very well… the figures are far below the potential reality, children can carry the virus, people over 65 can suffer more from the virus (7% of those infected and 14% beyond 70 years) are a risk of death, take care of yourself

Albervin

VOC Member
I have a gallon or so of Methanol do any amateur chemists have a recipe (adding E45 cream or something) in order to use it as a alcohol cleanser.....
You need to make a soft gel. You could buy some aloe vera gel and blend the alcohol into it Another way would be buy some Tragacanth powder or Agar and blend in the alcohol. Add some tea tree oil or maybe some TCP if you want. The alcohol strength needs to be 60% minimum. If your methanol is 100% then use 600ml to make a litre of sanitiser gel.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Dear Guests,

unfortunately, we have to inform you that yesterday on Thursday, 12.03.2020 by the Salzburg state government decided that all accommodation companies and ski lifts must be closed on the basis of the epidemic law.

Our Sporthotel Wagrain will also be closed from Monday, March 16, 2020 (till 12. April 2020).

Albervin

VOC Member
I think you received the same e-mail as I did. Devastating news for all those who depend on the season.

vibrac

VOC Member
You need to make a soft gel. You could buy some aloe vera gel and blend the alcohol into it Another way would be buy some Tragacanth powder or Agar and blend in the alcohol. Add some tea tree oil or maybe some TCP if you want. The alcohol strength needs to be 60% minimum. If your methanol is 100% then use 600ml to make a litre of sanitiser gel.
The breadth of knowledge on this forum is staggering thanks

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Albervin I think is a chemist so I don't know if the above was written tongue in cheek. I think we were pretty blase when we used it as a fuel in our race machine, it often got splashed about, spilt or used to wash parts down. A new era of Health and Safety makes us more aware of the hazards. I don't think that methanol is remotely suitable for a hand wash.
Do a simple search, two words, "methanol" and "hazard".
Ethanol is a completely different story, pass me the malt. :)

vibrac

VOC Member
Now I know what to do with the colored water after I have made my petrol ethanol free:)
ED:I was not thinking of using the methanol brew on my hands just door knobs post boxes etc (always assuming we get postmen)

Albervin

VOC Member
Albervin I think is a chemist so I don't know if the above was written tongue in cheek. I think we were pretty blase when we used it as a fuel in our race machine, it often got splashed about, spilt or used to wash parts down. A new era of Health and Safety makes us more aware of the hazards. I don't think that methanol is remotely suitable for a hand wash.
Do a simple search, two words, "methanol" and "hazard".
Ethanol is a completely different story, pass me the malt. :)
Ed, the tongue was certainly in cheek. Iso Propyl Alcohol is the alcohol fit for purpose here. Tim is a bit tight and I thought it best to give the real formula using his starting ingredients. In actual fact, Methanol on the hands is not too bad BUT internally it is usually fatal. It should be a last resort. In these times of cholera and pestilence there are some treatments worse than the disease. I would not say this is worse as rubbing your hand in this and not touching your face is better than licking your hands. If Tim is reading this then I would suggest a visit to the supermarket. Also you have to bear in mind what is called the contraction of volume when alcohol of any kind is diluted. I was not really thinking about that when I suggested 600ml/l. In actual fact it would be closer to 640ml/l. Sorry if I have caused confusion . I was actually going to post a better alternative along with potential dangers a bit later but you beat me to it. Thanks Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.