Cooked Goose - Bird Strike!

Gary Gittleson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A more peaceable encounter with aquatic fowl. Ducs?

Attachments

• Ducks.jpg
    Ducks.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 47

Ducdude

VOC Member
That’s a clever design - fitted with a yellow goose deflector.

Yup Keeps the bird feathers off the bulk of the header pipes..

Interestingly after 4 years of not riding this very 97 Ducati (I bought in 97) I changed the clip ons, lost 30lbs ( 2 stone) and got some proper fitting gear and rode her for the first 100 miles last week, and promptly blew up the regulator rectifier.:) Just like old times..LOL I had a new one at the ready only this one is a Mosfet unit and should generate 100 degrees less heat...So far so good...

The Shadow is running pretty well too!

Cheers,
Eric

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yup Keeps the bird feathers off the bulk of the header pipes..

Interestingly after 4 years of not riding this very 97 Ducati (I bought in 97) I changed the clip ons, lost 30lbs ( 2 stone) and got some proper fitting gear and rode her for the first 100 miles last week, and promptly blew up the regulator rectifier.:) Just like old times..LOL I had a new one at the ready only this one is a Mosfet unit and should generate 100 degrees less heat...So far so good...

The Shadow is running pretty well too!

Cheers,
Eric
Take a good look (a gander in old English slang ;)) at the connections at the regulator/rectifier end of the wiring. I had trouble on my 2000 ST4 Ducati and the bullet connectors weren't up to the job. John Hacket, ace Ducati dealer in Coventry gave me some heavy duty bullet connectors that cured the problem. I had a similar problem with my 2003 ST4S Ducati. Here a white plastic multi-connector was well charred and left me stranded in wildest Derbyshire. I made up sturdy separate connectors for each wire. Problem solved.:cool:

Last edited:

Ducdude

VOC Member
Take a good look (a gander in old English slang ;)) at the connections at the regulator/rectifier end of the wiring. I had trouble on my 2000 ST4 Ducati and the bullet connectors weren't up to the job. John Hacket, ace Ducati dealer in Coventry gave me some heavy duty bullet connectors that cured the problem. I had a similar problem with my 2003 ST4S Ducati. Here a white plastic multi-connector was well charred and left me stranded in wildest Derbyshire. I made up sturdy separate connectors for each wire. Problem solved.:cool:

Thanks Ed,
Oh yea I took a Gander :-} at that was back in 1999 5 -6 RR's ago when those less then up to the task connectors charred themselves to death. I cut back the yellow wires from the stator till the wire was still made of copper and not ash and dust and soldered them directly to the RR input wires with heavy duty shrink tubing that seems to have fixed that issue. I also used a heaver gauge wire and a heaver piece of AL to mount the new RR and used thermal conductive paste under the RR to help with the thermal siphoning of the heat to the plate so the heat would have a better chance to radiate out. etc etc..

BTW the Shadow's charging system is working just great keeping my LEDs brightly lit and my Ammeter at the zero:)

Cheers,
Eric