Conways Clutch Conversion - Filing

youngjohn

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've just received my Conways clutch for my Comet - looks a very nice piece of kit. I am planning on fitting it in a couple of weeks. With regard to the filing of the splines to fit, can anyone tell me (in their case) how much filing was necessary, and if it was the top and side of the splines on the clutch or also the bottom parts that forms the circumference that the splines stick out of from? How tight was the eventual fit - I don't fancy having to tap it on with a mallet (as it says in the instructions) if possible. Any other experiences or advice on fitting would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
When we fitted our kits to our Comets, all that was needed was a little fettling to the splines on the clutch shaft which is fairly soft.

Check to see if they have supplied a mild steel push rod, or a silver steel one, as the mild steel one doesnt harden very well and tends to mushroom on the end.

Neil

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
How do I check if it's mild or silver steel? What's trhe best thing to do if it's mild steel? If it's silver steel does it still need hardening in the same way? Thanks.

Last edited:

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Heat the end of the rod until its cherry red, then quench in water.
If you can file it, its mild steel.

The best is silver steel, which you should be able to get at any good bearing supplier or metal stockholder.
Silver steel should still be hardened as the end is effictivly a bearing surface.

Neil

nkt267

VOC Member
Check to see if they have supplied a mild steel push rod, or a silver steel one, as the mild steel one doesnt harden very well and tends to mushroom on the end
I used the existing pushrod as it just needed shortening, and rehardened the end after cutting..It should not be 'easy' to file the mainshaft as it 'should' be case hardened steel. I had to file the splines on the clutch centre, a tedious job, and drew the clutch centre onto the mainshaft using the nut..Make yourself a puller that will spread across the spring mounts so that clutch removal is easier if ever you need to remove it, I think I used half of a 2 legged gear puller for mine..john

Last edited:

nobby

VOC Member
This conversion is one of the best things I ever did for the Comet, getting the splines in order was not a big job. But make sure you have the steel centre nut, because the aluminium one is not up for the task...

vincenttwin

VOC Member
I have one of the kits on my A comet ,13,000 miles on it now ,I have only once taken the clutch apart once at 8000 miles it was getting a little sticky ,most likey my fault too thich a oil in the case ,I now run transmission oil .
cheers
peter allen