Conways Anti Sumping Valve on Twin start pumps

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I've got one fitted to my Series "A" Comet. It used to dump the whole tank into the sump in a week. The Conways valve stopped it and has never been a problem. The pump on an A is a gear type pump and as a pump is very good and is capable of providing a good lift of oil from the tank at a high pressure. The return into the tank is a constant squirt rather than a drip-bubble-drip-bubble that you see on a post war pump.

I would have no problems recommending the Conways valve for a Series A, but would think twice before fitting it to a post war bike as the lift of the pump is a lot less and my worry is the pump would not open the valve.

My brother-in-law's "B" Rapide would sump over 2 weeks. What he did was to drill the sump drain plug 1/4 BSF and seal it with a short bolt and copper washer. To drain the sump he removes the 1/4 BSF bolt and leaves the original drain plug in. That way you won't damage or wear the threads in the crankcase.

Simon

Gerry Clarke

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Fit the valve. It works. Every Velocette Venom, Viper and Thruxton had one fitted at the factory - and needed it. The Conways item is of similar specification.

Gerry

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello, Just a thought, my Velo seized due to an air leak on the pump side of the anti sump valve.
So be very sure that the pipe work is good between the ASV and the pump.
John.