Converting a Comet into a Twin.

Mark Fraser

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
With the current price of twins I am seriously contemplating converting my Comet into a Twin.
I am planning on going the route of building a new engine but have discovered so far that their are four people making crankcases? Has anyone recently gone this route? Who's cases are best to use / can anyone recommend somebody that would take this type of job on.

Mark.

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
Hi Mark,
I only know of three. The norvin place, Godet and Molner.
The Godet ones are good and I have been told that the norvin one's are not bad, I am going to get a pair to see what they are like.
Simon Linford will build the engine for you, call me on Monday for more info.
Russ

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
Hi Mark,
I only know of three. The norvin place, Godet and Molner.
The Godet ones are good and I have been told that the norvin one's are not bad, I am going to get a pair to see what they are like.
Simon Linford will build the engine for you, call me on Monday for more info.
Russ

Hi Russ,
The 4th is DRAT cases from Bob Culver enterprises. He seems to manufacture a load of spares but his work load is quite high at present.

manxnortonman

VOC Member
Hi Mark,
My engine is built using John Wyatts cases,heads, flywheels and covers.I am very pleased with the result. His number is 07952 866193.

Regards Garry Laurence

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
Twin engine.

Hi Mark,
My engine is built using John Wyatts cases,heads, flywheels and covers.I am very pleased with the result. His number is 07952 866193.

Regards Garry Laurence

Garry,
Did John build it for you? I'll rob the Comet engine of as many bits as possible and just sell the remaining parts that I don't require. Do you think 11K will get me there with the engine?

Mark

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
11 Grand, You'll be lucky

Do you think 11K will get me there with the engine?
Mark

Mark, I recently built a twin from bits. The Godet cases that I used are excellent, no bits to grind off or holes that don't line up. As for prices ball park figures are :-

Crank cases £2500
2 x Heads with valves etc £2000
Flywheels £1000
Pistons,rods,barrels £1000
Gearbox internals £1000
Primary side internals £1000
Timing side internals £1000
Generator & ignition £750
Covers & cases £750
Kickstart, gearlever & internals £1000
Bolts, studs, fittings, oil pipes £1000

All of these prices are on the low side, many need V.A.T added and you haven't paid anyone to assemble it yet. You will also be amazed at the number of cycle parts that are different.

With a Comet selling for £9000 at Stafford and a Rapide recently selling for £24,000 on e-bay it looks like you could be cheaper to trade up to a genuine twin without butchering a Comet.

I will now stand by for death threats from parts retailers:rolleyes:

Pete

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Only a complete XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX would do what what you are comtemplating in my opinion.
Mmmmmmmmm, really helpful opinion - not, but you're free to hold it. Can't work out what's 18 letters long with no spaces though!

It's Mark's bike, he bought it - he can do what he wants with it. Worse has been done before and will be done after I guess.

Oh - and I think it's a real shame too - especially with an all original Conways supplied bike that looks as pretty as his does, but it's his to do with what he wants.

Me, well I reckon in todays world that the maths works out better to sell his super Comet for top dollar and buy a Twin that needs work, and do it over time.

You never know - some member with 10+ Vincents might just offer to swap him a tired twin for his immaculate Comet to save him "doing his worst". Fingers crossed.

Stuart

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
There's always one.

Only a complete XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX would do what what you are comtemplating in my opinion.

I started the thread as I was looking for advice, Russ, Peter & Stuart have enabled me to make a decision. You give me the impression that your toys were being launched from the pram :D