Converting a Comet into a Twin.

lvhrd

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Not to hijack this thread, but what kind of costs would be involved in building a Comet motor from the cases? Is it even possible to acquire all of the necessary parts?
I ask because I'm thinking that starting with a set of cases (or thereabouts) might be how I get my first Vincent.

thanks,
Chris

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
but what kind of costs would be involved in building a Comet motor from the cases? Is it even possible to acquire all of the necessary parts?
Start by finding a good set of secondhand cases.Then look for a nice Comet that someone else is selling.It is usually a lot easier and cheaper to 'build' a bike this way. As far as I can tell all other parts are available for a Comet ENGINE.Frame parts may be a different kettle of fish.
http://www.vintech.co.uk/
http://www.vincentspares.co.uk/shop.html
Try pricing the parts from these sites...John

MartinRestorer

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Comet to twin

I started the thread as I was looking for advice, Russ, Peter & Stuart have enabled me to make a decision. You give me the impression that your toys were being launched from the pram :D

Mark
I have been trying to acheve what you are contemplating, but taking a comet engine from a Rapide frame and building the twin engine.I have been doing battle with some John Wyatt cases over the last 2-3 years with many obstacles. But I may have been unlucky with this set of cases. But good for a chalenge. O and what was your decision.Good luck Martin

Comet

VOC Member
Mark , is it just for the power difference that you are looking to convert to a twin? If it is, a cheaper option than the full twin conversion is the 636cc rebore.:D I am not sure of the full details but there was one at the Severn rally. It still looks fairly standard but it puts out power that is comparable with a twin. It would certainly be a LOT cheaper and so much fun pulling up beside a Rapide and leaving them stood at the lights, after all there would still be a big weight advantage.:cool:

cheers

Comet

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
Mark , is it just for the power difference that you are looking to convert to a twin? If it is, a cheaper option than the full twin conversion is the 636cc rebore.:D I am not sure of the full details but there was one at the Severn rally. It still looks fairly standard but it puts out power that is comparable with a twin. It would certainly be a LOT cheaper and so much fun pulling up beside a Rapide and leaving them stood at the lights, after all there would still be a big weight advantage.:cool:

cheers

Comet

Comet,
I've heard of this recently when I was down the ACE one evening. This chap seemed to think it was Bob Dunn that did this conversion?
Anyone on here had this done to their Comet?

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Big Bore Comets

Hi Mark,

In regard of big bore/ stroke Comets.
I run one of Vinparts 90mm bore kits, my dad runs a Terry Prince 600cc kit. Both go well with either standard stroke, or Bob Dunn 100mm stoker cranks.

If you want more info, drop me a line..

Neil

van Ginneke

Non-VOC Member
Hi all, searching the forum for info on 'who makes new twin crankcases' I found this thread.
(Yep, 3 years later.....) I am toying with the same idea to convert (...) a Comet into a Rapide, I have two Comets.
One in process of renovation and another one 'as found' after 35 year in a shed.
So I can butch one....
The best place to get a twin crankcase is Godet?, but I thought he only sells these if he can build a complete one for you, is that so?
Vincent