Control Cables

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That rear brake cable that I posted looks like it has the same yellow tracer. Amongst the rear brake cables the tracer is different shades as though some were exposed to more sun. Maybe hanging near a window. That cable also has fittings identical to the original black ones. One is shorter, so perhaps intended for rearsets?
I also just walked by the cable pile, and noticed a long front brake cable. It also has the proper fittings, the upper has the yellow tracer and the lower section (below the balance beam) is just black. No signs of it ever being used or monkeyed with. These arrived with series B and C stuff and fit correctly.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
That rear brake cable that I posted looks like it has the same yellow tracer. Amongst the rear brake cables the tracer is different shades as though some were exposed to more sun. Maybe hanging near a window. That cable also has fittings identical to the original black ones. One is shorter, so perhaps intended for rearsets?
I also just walked by the cable pile, and noticed a long front brake cable. It also has the proper fittings, the upper has the yellow tracer and the lower section (below the balance beam) is just black. No signs of it ever being used or monkeyed with. These arrived with series B and C stuff and fit correctly.
Thanks Cyborg I'll pass that along.
Steven

Somer

VOC Member
Those are early HRD cables.My 47 Rapide has them. When I acquired the remains of Harry Bellville's estate in Ohio, he had those scattered about. They were lacquered cotton. Unfortunately it isn't the most ideal outer cable material as it tends to compress. I know who previously had that A Comet and he tended to gather bits like those. He's probably good with those. Closeup of my B's rear brake cable.

Cyborg

VOC Member
What’s going to happen to the market value of my cables if the judges find out? Maybe I can buy that G50 I’ve been lusting after.

Gerry Clarke

VOC Member
There is still one of those cables on my 1939 BSA M24. It is the air control and not used. However, time has not been kind to the material and the outer is very prone to cracking when bent, so that's something to consider. It looks very nice though!

Gerry

highbury731

VOC Member
bmetcalf - that is exactly what I was thinking!

If you were to use heat-shrink plastic covering, and are concerned that it will make the cable sheath a bit too stiff to bend adequately, hold the cable in the bend which you want for it, and then apply the heat, so that the heat-shrink sets in the desired radius

Paul