Misc: Everything Else Complete Restoration of a Black Shadow

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My guess is the helicoil insert was stainless and the bolt was stainless, and the two locked together and the insert pulled out with the bolt........Now that's one of the reasons I hate the stuff........Luckily I have an old school aviation grade helicoil kit where the inserts are made of hardened steel not stainless........These are the best inserts I've ever found.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Back to the subject of the black casings etc instead of the original "pyluminizing"could the "chromating" process used on Manx crankcases etc be used, I have a friend who occasionally does this and if the solution is fairly strong it will do alluminium alloy, and could just a single top coat of paint then be applied.

Gerry Clarke

VOC Member
Lovely bike Steve. I remember it well. I'm sure to be in a minority, but techniques for preserving original finishes - even those with some amount of obvious wear and rust is of more interest to me than anything else. For those that might know of it, Mike Farrall has done a super job of getting that ex Tyrell Smith works Rudge running again and preserving all the patina at the same time.

On another note, the thickness of coating in a dip coating process is largely determined by the extraction rate - the slower the rate, the thinner the coating, but with solution viscosity and curing conditions also playing roles. So, quite a bit of experimentation is required.

Gerry

Keith Martin

VOC Member
EFC78759-0D7E-4C68-ABBE-B64933BE03CA.jpeg
This is the motor from a Shadow that will be built as a Lighting style hot rod. I think it has the factory paint but can not say for sure. Is this consistent with other stock cases?
I have some NOS muffs and the paint on them seem to be fairly thinner than the paint on the cases.

vibrac

VOC Member
Dam it rained on my ride :eek: , Actually if anyone came to me for paint recommendations (which is unlikely) I use Tractol Tekaloid from Smith & Allen it comes up a bit shiny it aint cheap but its good brushing paint that sticks (give it a few days)

Magnetoman

VOC Member
It might take a while for people to notice, but to speed that up, note that Graham has created a new 'Projects' forum category. It's located in the 'Club Member Access' block of forums on the main forum page.

With the opening of the Brisbane exhibition now just two months away, things are heating up and even more of my time is being sucked away. As I wrote in my first post in this thread I'll, optimistically, be able to re-start my restoration in December.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
It might take a while for people to notice, but to speed that up, note that Graham has created a new 'Projects' forum category. It's located in the 'Club Member Access' block of forums on the main forum page.

With the opening of the Brisbane exhibition now just two months away, things are heating up and even more of my time is being sucked away. As I wrote in my first post in this thread I'll, optimistically, be able to re-start my restoration in December.
Good luck for Brisbane. If you are planning on visiting QLD remember to factor in the mandatory 2 week Hotel quarantine that's at your expense when you arrive in Oz.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
remember to factor in the mandatory 2 week Hotel quarantine that's at your expense when you arrive in Oz.
Even if I were willing to risk catching covid on a 15-hour plane flight, which I'm not, and even if the hotel were paid for by someone else, spending two weeks locked in the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in would be a hell I wouldn't want to subject myself to.

IF a safe and effective vaccine were developed before the five-month run of the exhibition is completed, and IF I managed to be vaccinated early after it was released, and IF Australia opened its borders to vaccinated people without forcing them to quarantine, I'll be there. But, that's a lot of ifs so I'm certainly not counting on it.

I understand it's possible the border with NSW might be opened as early as a few weeks from now, although you Victorians are likely to be shunned for a lot longer.

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
Charles/MM, My suggestion would be to do a post for each section or chapter with a separate post that would consist of a master index with a link to each of the sections/chapters. In each post, put a note requesting people not post comments in the sections or index, but have a link to a comments post, perhaps one per section or chapter.