Misc: Everything Else Complete Restoration of a Black Shadow

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There will be no 'bloodbath' concerning the steering head originating with me. Despite the fact that this modification improves both comfort, handling and safety I have only sold about 200 of these. I assume that most of those who have bought them are riders rather than collectors and are suspicious that the appearance will be changed. In fact the appearance is hardly noticeable and I had looked at John Emmanuel's bike over several years before I noticed what he had done. What about internal mods. The rocker bushes were known to be a problem for years and one has a choice of boring the tunnels and using oversized bushes or using the mod which clamps the bush to the tunnel roof. How about the clutch. My mod of using a needle roller thrust race is inside and invisible but it will not give an original feel. How about the sealing to prevent oil leaking into the clutch. Early was bad, 'D' was better, my mod even better. Sealing the valve lifter boss at the rear of the timing cover. It can be modified internally to prevent leaks but will not leak like the original. It is MM's bike and he can restore it to whatever state he sees fit. That is nothing to do with the rest of us, but he will have a bike that is less usable than it could be.

Bloodbath... Perhaps a poor choice of words? In any event, it wasn’t directed at you. It was intended as an example of how strongly people might feel about some modifications. In a conversation with MM that took place elsewhere, I expressed my opinion on modifications. I believed it would be a good idea to include those discussions along with reviewing some of the Vincent’s weak points. I also believed that we could collectively express our opinions on what modifications are worthwhile, but in the end respect the fact that a restoration to “as original” has value and if that is the wish of the OP, then so be it. In that conversation I actually brought up the modified steering stem as a “good” example of something that “could” be incorporated into the restoration. I believe the mod is worthwhile and (albeit slowly) I’m making a similar version of that modified steering stem for my own use. Anyway, I’m no longer convinced discussions on modifications should be included.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Many of us forum readers share your preference for an original bike. It's probably a minority position among active posters, though, partly because modifying bikes provides more material for ongoing discussion. There are always new products and technologies that can be applied to update the Vincent.

Still, there remains much to be learned about restoring to original. I for one would be grateful if you can share your experiences in a public forum.

I reread this thread and realized that my posts did not pass the sniff test, that is there was no useful information in them.

Hence the delete.
Carry on!

Glen

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Although mine has been modified in dozens of ways this in no way affects what you wish to do, and I for one would be very interested in the project to be honest, and would not think to comment on anything you do unless you asked for them.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The best advice i can give to anyone who wishes to restore one of these bikes is.......Get on with it........ If you think you are running out of time, then you probably are........in all the years I've been playing with old brit bikes there are few if in fact non that compare with a Vincent twin.......They are not the perfect bike, but compared to others.......well, lets just say on most all old bike rallies I've been on, even riding 2 up........you can generally leave the others in your wake. To restore and fully document the build might be a good idea, and of benefit to others........Just remember that you ultimately want to ride it and enjoy it.........So be careful that time does not cheat you of doing just that.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I'm with Stu on this. Between 1947 and 1955 there were many changes and improvements but if MM chooses not to incorporate any of these and to restore his bike to exactly what is was like when it left the factory then that is his choice. It should be an interesting and instructive document when completed and is likely to be of interest to the collectors/investors as opposed to the riders. Each to his own.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
It annoys me when you see Vincent artwork, and the drawing/painting has a bike with non-standard bits. There are so few truly original examples left. I know of a handful. I had the privilege of riding a Vincent that was nearly 100% original across the US to the North American rallies in the 1980’s. It now has a BT-H ignition, and an Alton, just because it was easier. If I get the original mag and generator overhauled, I would not hesitate to ride across the US again. Avoiding mods does not mean you cannot use a Vincent for what it was designed to do. It is immensely satisfying to first of all, restore something as near as possible to how it came from the factory, but more importantly to me, then actually use it. The first one by itself has merit, but it is so much more with the second part.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Avoiding mods does not mean you cannot use a Vincent for what it was designed to do.
Someone reading a few of the responses in this thread easily might conclude otherwise. If 1950 Vincents had been as frail as might be inferred from some posts, it's a miracle they managed to stay in business until 1955.

Other than having modern tires, LED bulbs, and O-ring chains, in every other respect the 1928 Ariel I rode across the U.S. was in stock factory condition. The three days where I lost miles were entirely my fault (as Benjamin Franklin wrote, "For the want of a drop of Loctite, the kingdom was lost"), not because I had failed to make "sensible upgrades" and instead rebuilt it to original condition. The machine that covered those ~3000 miles was a lesser marque, of half the capacity, and made 22 years earlier than my Black Shadow.

Keith Martin

VOC Member
I have just started a restoration of a 50 Shadow also. I plan on making as original as possible. It came with tons of NOS parts and great amount of slightly used parts. I am saving The best stuff from the stash I just purchased for this bike.
I have an appointment with my cad plater next week to x ray some NOS hardware to measure the thickness of the plating on the original hardware so it can be duplicated on the bike. This includes spokes and nipples.
Trying to replicate the stove enamel is my real challenge. We only use paint on Vincents no powder coating but the paint leaves a little to be desired sometimes. Often a bit too shiny.
I enjoy working on bikes as much as riding them. I am lucky I get to both almost every day.
Please move forward with the Vincent so I can learn new things from you.

vibrac

VOC Member
:)Well look out USA riders there should be some mint non standard parts on the market soon! all those shiny SS items you can fit and forget (with appropriate lubrication)