Comments on brexit?

Robert E Naess

Active Forum User
VOC Member
So, the vote is in and GB is voted out of the EU. What say you about this? Very interested in opinions on how this affects the vintage vehicle world in GB. Recently there was complaint about an impending Brussels directive requiring vintage vehicles to remain factory standard at all times.

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Like to see them find a "factory standard" for my Egli. My MoT man says I'm the worldwide authority on it. He often asks things like "Is that silencer standard?" and I say "Of course it is!" (or if the engine's running "Pardon?")
We all think we'll be ok and UK politicians and Bureaucrats are more sensible than Eurocrats ...................................... come someone back me up. :rolleyes: Que sera, sera as we say in Stoke.

H

vibrac

VOC Member
I think Ernie has just lost some crash bars like that ..... Oh! Im sorry I thought you said BRITAX not BREXIT
(Please note Big Ed I am avoiding being political :))

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
The romans used to say: "Quidquid agis, prudenter agas, et respice finem!" In short: "Think first!" Is that, why the Londoners voted differently?

A_HRD

VOC Member
Unusually, I don't think the proposed DVLA new rules are much to do with Brussels bureaucracy on this occasion; DVLA are more than capable of dreaming-up their own wildly excessive bureaucracy to ensure frustration and pain for all owners of vintage vehicles. It would appear that they are trying to outlaw the entire field of restoration, rebuilds, replica-builds and specials like Norvins, Eglis, Tritons, etc. If they get their way, the whole vintage scene will be trashed in the UK, 1,000s of jobs lost, £billions lost to the Treasury, a hobby for millions of enthusiasts gone forever.

There is no such thing as a clever bureaucrat; they are all blinkered and incompetent IMHO.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

vibrac

VOC Member
Unusually, I don't think the proposed DVLA new rules are much to do with Brussels bureaucracy on this occasion; DVLA are more than capable of dreaming-up their own wildly excessive bureaucracy to ensure frustration and pain for all owners of vintage vehicles. It would appear that they are trying to outlaw the entire field of restoration, rebuilds, replica-builds and specials like Norvins, Eglis, Tritons, etc. If they get their way, the whole vintage scene will be trashed in the UK, 1,000s of jobs lost, £billions lost to the Treasury, a hobby for millions of enthusiasts gone forever.

There is no such thing as a clever bureaucrat; they are all blinkered and incompetent IMHO.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
I agree Peter the DVLA are a bunch of pen pushers and not to be trusted but the roadworthyness directive was from the EU. remember that it was by and large democracy that got us the road tax and MOT changes the FBHVC made a good case for the value of the old vehicle movment and we do have some leverage -we had none in Brussels

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
There is another thread that is similar to this thread. I have posted the following that hopefully may be used as a guide to any other posts here.
"Members are discouraged from engaging in Political, Nationalists or Religious commentary as these often lead to personal offence, and are not appropriate to the scope of this forum.
I suggest that it might be in order to discuss how leaving the EU might affect motor cycling in the UK."

timetraveller

VOC Member
I don't know who they are Vince. It was a figure I heard on the BBC world service yesterday, and believe me, a higher education no longer guarantees a decent job or a pension. However I'm also sure that this is not a good place to discuss politics. Time is going to tell whether this will turn out to have been a good or bad result. Nothing that we can do about it now.