Comets

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think mine would do it at 65mph without any problems,apart from stopping to refuel..John

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Will Comets sit comfortably at 70+ MPH continually for a 200-300 mile motorway journey?

Thirty plus years ago, I rode mine from Boise to Portland trying to outrun a very cold Thunder Storm. I opened it all the way and backed off about 1/8th a turn on the throttle. Did just under 80 for hours.. No problem! The Rapide Rider with me couldn't stop grinning.
Cheers, John

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Probably would, but I'd get off the motorway, slow down and look at the scenery. Remember, no matter how well it has been rebuilt it is 60 years old! Mine is comfortable at 60-65 for 300 miles. Trouble with motorways over here is idiot drivers sitting right up your clacker! My 60 m.p.h. is with a 21" front wheel.

nobby

VOC Member
The fastest long ride I ever did with a 500 engine (ex-racing engine) was 80+ for more then 2 hours with a half filled seat (ex-racing seat) and camping gear on the back.
Later with the 600 engine, Craven equipment and a new seat I discovered luxury for the butt and vibe-free riding...

Howard

VOC Member
Will Comets sit comfortably at 70+ MPH continually for a 200-300 mile motorway journey?

Why would you want to? Yes, I know it's a pain trying to get around the UK without using Motorways and it's good to get it over with asap, but .......

I'm with Chankly on this. My other concern would be that you're travelling at close to top speed (assuming it's a standard Comet motor) - it's always better to have a bit in hand when you need it, specially on motorways.

H

vibrac

VOC Member
I once took all day to ride 100 miles on a Comet Trials outfit from Loch Ness to Sky pushing hard and it was one of the best rides I (we because it takes two to ride a Trials outfit) ever had
(and one of the best UK rallies)
How was the motorway up to Loch Ness?
The Trailer was fine
Horses for courses

B

Bikersally

Don't think mine would manage that. 60 with a strong head wind. Engine is pap on being rebuilt by maughans 5 years ago.

aldeburgh

Non-VOC Member
Ours will sit comfortably at 65 sph (smiles per hour) with the occasional push to 70 sph riding two-up (50t rear sprocket fitted to lift the engine speed a little)
It would do 300 miles but I don,t think my knees would!

nkt267

VOC Member
It would also depend on the motorway.
I went up to Manchester from Suffolk over last weekend and with the congestion and restrictions only 50mph was possible a lot of the time..John