Comets

derek

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As it seems that most only run contiually at 65 mph; what is the limiting factor, is it vibration increase? The riders handbook and Paul Richardson give top speeds for the Comet as 90 mph! I certainly remember many years ago while on my twin that a certain Comet could get along quite handy at 80 mph. Derek.

B

Bikersally

Mine is vibration free, I like it on the back roads as it's lighter than the twin. I would like to have a shot on a comet that has been bored and stroked, bet it's a different machine altogether.

nobby

VOC Member
the 600 engine is vibration free and deserves easily the tonup-sticker, even with a passenger. the 500 however, did 80 top when i bought it, and after a lot of succesfull and even more failing alterations for racing, it did 100+ on the track. For the mickey-mouse-tracks in the villages that's fine, but for a real track it is horrible. When it was build back for street use, it was a shaking and loud machine, but I could cruise it 80mph. The difference between the two engines is huge, in performance and in smoothness. I never liked this 500 engine with a sidecar, but the 600 is made for the job... And on the back roads (or the applecross roads) it is a twin-beater: much lighter and more power then some rapides...

vibrac

VOC Member
Its a funny thing but we have raced 500 and 600 on petrol and methanol and its a good man who can tell that a 600 is faster than the 500. sometimes on the rolling road a slight change in the spark position can easily bridge the gap
we race a 500 now because the 600 point penalty is not covered by the speed increase

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
Mine doesn't vibrate noticeably, but at 70 plus the noise is phenominal and could be a bit wearing, once the novelty has worn off.
I have seen 85 on the clock, confirmed by my wife following in the car, but to keep it up for hours on end seems a little cruel on the wee beasty.
I took my Hinkley up to Scotland for a rally a few weeks ago, I was on the road just after 4am and crossed the border 288 miles later in 3h 42mins after giving the the speed limits a bit of a kicking and 1 fuel stop, average speed 77mph, 5 mins of town work before hitting the main A road up to the M40 then motorway all the way,risked a lot of points for not much gain.
Trucks seem to cover ground pretty quickly, although they are restricted to 56mph.
JimR

Howard

VOC Member
Trucks seem to cover ground pretty quickly, although they are restricted to 56mph.
JimR[/QUOTE]

Bit of a Tortoise and Hare thing. We once travelled 450 miles in France on A roads, 9 hours from Ferry to campsite, including stops for food and map reading and filling up every 100-120 miles (I was with a Kawasaki with a small tank). I was chuffed with the average time, but everytime we stopped a GB Skoda came past with a trailer on the back.

H

vibrac

VOC Member
out on the m-boring way
Its the P,s that get you every time
Petrol & Pee,& a swig of water
6 to 10 miles lost every stop
and eating.... dont even think about it, go suck a sweet. If you are 2 up TBPPINW may unwrap it for you...

b'knighted

VOC Member
I do try to keep up, but TBPPINW is lost on me. It also seems to be lost on Google so can you let us into the secret, please.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Originally Bruce Main-Smith, if I recall. "The Best Pillion Passenger In The World." However, he called his Vincent "The Pig"! Other ancients may correct me if I'm wrong.