FT: Frame (Twin) Comet's FT163

fishingpaul

Forum User
VOC Member
I have a broken tab on my Comet's FT 163, and need to have it welded. Since it's a cast, old-type of aluminum are there any hints or advice as to how this should be done?

DSC_0171 (2).JPG

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bring it over, I'll weld it up for you, have done a few......

Heat it and clean it, rinse and repeat (until no oil appears). Tig with the softer of the two common rods, I don't remember the number.....

Oh, and grind it back a bit to give some space to fill with weld.....

I know

Absolutely of no help,

brian gains

VOC Member
if it was me and given the requirements of the cover, i'd be tempted to go DIY and try that fluxed ali welding rod that you use with a MAP torch. seems you can't turn around at the moment without some promotion for it and how easy it is to use.

fishingpaul

Forum User
VOC Member
Brian,

Thanks. I located an expert welder of aluminum on recommendation from 2 local VOC friends, so I think I'll get it done professionally.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes that solder weld is not easy to use and I don't think it will be strong enough for that job.
When it's done, Might be an idea to make a thin tube to go between the lugs, So it doesn't strain it again ?.
Cheers Bill.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
A couple of things to note: If you can set it up accurately it is worth bushing the holes through which the stud F122 passes as otherwise you may hear a mysterious untraceable rattle in transit. Go minimum o.d. to tidy up and bush with Loctited bronze. If you use the propstands to lift the front wheel you must slacken off the through stud and the top mounting setscrew through the tab from the crankcase stud. This setscrew should be 1/4" B.S.F. nowadays most are not. You may as well helicoil it back to standard while you are at it.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I never really like that Mag' cover fitting, I know it was done to make it quick and easy, But it can be a fiddle to fit sometimes, Plus the chance of over tightening.
So the last 2 sets of "Alloy" prop stand plates I have made, I made holes rather than slots,
And fit a bolt to each side , From the inside, With a domed s/s nuts outside.
So NO awards for me :) , Cheers Bill.