Comet's Burman gearbox

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello everybody, do you know if the kickstart and the gear pedal are chrome or cadmium :confused: Cheer.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
My original November 1951 Comet had a chromed kickstart lever and an alloy gear lever. I have also seen cad. plated steel gear levers, but never a cad. plated kickstart lever.Some later, possibly post-production, kickstart levers did not have the same highly finished surface as the originals.Any more knowledgeable ferrets out there may add further! Cheers

Michel

VOC Member
My question was about serie C (1950). Did the gear lever supplied only untreated forged or forged AND polished ?
Thanks a lot for all your explanations.
Have a nice week-end.
Michel.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
They're forged, probably heat-treated, and mine (late 1950), which has broken at the footpeg end, is polished, although not all over. This MIGHT have been done by some previous "proud owner" - but I very much doubt it. I can't imagine they were delivered to Vincent "unpolished, as forged".

Len Matthews

VOC Member
All this discussion about Comet gear levers prompts me to ask where can I get a new one with the correct double bends?

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Ron Kemp had some made so ask Russel, they were cast and VERY brittle, i broke one hitting with my hand to ease it on.
The Spares Co are supposed to be having some made, Ken