Misc: Everything Else Cometic Gaskets

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I used to be able to make my Norton's primary cover oil-tight, but seem to have lost the knack. It's one of those 'orrible rubber-band ones.
A few years ago I saw Norvil offering alloy primary cases, but didn't find it when I looked at their website recently. So I asked Les Emery about it. He says most people use a belt primary drive conversion now, so there is no oil to leak out. Humph.
Paul

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I had the rubber band on the SS, couldn't seal it. Someone suggested grease for that. Tried that and it made no difference.
Bob Newby Racing belt drive solved the leakage and slippage problems and knocked about 8 lbs off the bike.
Fortunately the Vincent has a proper primary cover and gasket , much like the MK3 Commando.
The paper gaskets do work, but they are fragile. As Mike pointed out, the Cometic can be reused many times and it will still seal even with considerable imperfections in the mating surfaces.
Glen

Jim Bush

VOC Member
When installing Cometic gaskets is there a preference for prepping them with any kind of oil or grease?
Or is it simply a matter of installing them as they come?

I was also planning on running a brush with black paint around the perimeter before installing to hide the thin layer of aluminum for use on my black painted engine - anyone else done that?

Albervin

VOC Member
When installing Cometic gaskets is there a preference for prepping them with any kind of oil or grease?
Or is it simply a matter of installing them as they come?

I was also planning on running a brush with black paint around the perimeter before installing to hide the thin layer of aluminum for use on my black painted engine - anyone else done that?
Jim, you have the answers regarding any grease or sealant. The gaskets will need to be trimmed with a sharp knife as they are bit oversize to allow for different engines. Once that is done then I would think twice about painting them. If you use an enamel paint with thinners it may have an effect on the rubber/viton or whatever it is. I really can't see the point of trying to hide the gasket.

Bikerjoan

VOC Member
Jim, you have the answers regarding any grease or sealant. The gaskets will need to be trimmed with a sharp knife as they are bit oversize to allow for different engines. Once that is done then I would think twice about painting them. If you use an enamel paint with thinners it may have an effect on the rubber/viton or whatever it is. I really can't see the point of trying to hide the gasket.
Why not try a Black Permanent Ink type marker pen around the gasket edge once fitted, just a thought.