Comet with 10TT9 Amal

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When I tickle the 10TT9 to enrich for start, overflow out bowl vent, the carb leaks profusely out these 3 lower air holes!
Is this proper for a 10TT9?

kettlrj

VOC Member
Viton tipped float needles

Hello Craig,
Surrey cycles sell Viton tipped needles for the top feed type float chamber.
An alternative is to use the smaller bottom feed float chamber, similar to the type 29 float bowl but with the larger banjo to fit the TT9. I think that this type is not so sensitve to being out of vertical. The fuel level will be pre-set but if your carb is at a downdraught angle, the relative fuel height will change if you rotate the float chamber from front to back. A front position will lower the level and rotated to the rear will lift the fuel level. The same reasoning applies to the larger GP type float bowl but I think that you get less variation with the larger bowl because it has less rotation angle - the larger body diameter hitting the carb body sooner. See if you can borrow one of the smaller type to try.
What area do you live. Maybe I could offer help if you are not too far away.

craig

VOC Member
My thanks to all so far. I went off the deep end and bought a new float bowl from Surrey and I am a happy customer. Good advice from Michael Johnson, good prices, fast shipping to USA. I purchased a "matchbox" float bowl with a top mount stud. I need some visual help on mounting this float bowl. I have seen David's Grey Flash racer and his photos are good, thank you. I would like to see other matchbox floats mounted to front head of twin or a Comet. My 10TT9 1-3/16 is mounted on a manifold that brings it out level to the ground. Any photos out there?
matchbox_float.jpg

craig

VOC Member
anyone have a photo or a link to a picture of a Vincent with matchbox floats?

craig

VOC Member
found a Vincent at auction with matchbox floats
http://www.classic-auctions.com/Images/Report/109B/44112a.jpg
details not real clear, but appears like flat alloy sheet fastened under carb, maybe bored thru like a spacer, extended out to side, then up and over.
Seems to me you would want to run a matchbox float bowl in-line with the bike rather than crossways as pictured.
Certainly I have seen it inline between two Triumph or BSA carbs. In fact i thought that was the intent for this matchbox float bowl (between two close parallel carbs)

craig

VOC Member
Repairing the NEW matchbox ?

I put the "new" matchbox float bowl into service and the float needle leaks thru profusely! It simply slows the fuel feed rather than regulate level. Disassembly of the matchbox finds all seven of the "new" gasket surfaces cut by dull tooling, leak producing radial scratches at most, simply uneven machining at others. Inspection of the "new" float needle with magnification shows nicks and dings on the taper surface. I could spend a couple hundred at a machine shop to correct all this. Or?
The point of spending a lot of money for a new matchbox float bowl was to eliminate this problem!
Not happy at all.

My thanks to all so far. I went off the deep end and bought a new float bowl from Surrey and I am a happy customer. Good advice from Michael Johnson, good prices, fast shipping to USA. I purchased a "matchbox" float bowl with a top mount stud. I need some visual help on mounting this float bowl. I have seen David's Grey Flash racer and his photos are good, thank you. I would like to see other matchbox floats mounted to front head of twin or a Comet. My 10TT9 1-3/16 is mounted on a manifold that brings it out level to the ground. Any photos out there?
View attachment 1186

craig

VOC Member
There are aluminum bits in the threads of all fittings and aluminum bits embeded in the gaskets.

I put the "new" matchbox float bowl into service and the float needle leaks thru profusely! It simply slows the fuel feed rather than regulate level. Disassembly of the matchbox finds all seven of the "new" gasket surfaces cut by dull tooling, leak producing radial scratches at most, simply uneven machining at others. Inspection of the "new" float needle with magnification shows nicks and dings on the taper surface. I could spend a couple hundred at a machine shop to correct all this. Or?
The point of spending a lot of money for a new matchbox float bowl was to eliminate this problem!
Not happy at all.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Communicating with the seller and letting them send you an inspected good one might work out well for you.