E: Engine Comet will not start when hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If the mixture screw is wound fully in, that is fine.......it indicates there is either too much air bypassing the slide, or even a possible leak at the carb to manifold slip joint..........If it's an old carb, and the slide is a number 4 then it will almost certainly be too much ware in the slide/bore.......Now if the mixture screw was initially wound out from this, the mixture at idle would be too lean.......in which case if the mag had a weak spark when hot, then there is your hard starting issue........So my advice is to also look at the carb if you really want to tune the engine properly.........generally on the 229/289 carby's these days a number 4 slide is on the lean side anyway.

gregg-k

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Excellent news, Everiman. For whatever reason, I have not been getting message notifications the past few days, so I've missed the progress you've made.
Let me know if you'd like me to get in touch ...
... Gregg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Gregg, You sound like a good chap to have on the Forum,
Are you a Club member ?, If not maybe that's why no notifications ?.
If He found ANY single cam , As Chris says, Would it not be easy to regrind the location slots,
We were given a Mag' off a Velo', "Should go the other way round " !!, To fit to a Comet,
I was away from home and thought we were stuffed !, But got in contact with a top Mag' Chap,
And He told us how to regrind it, That worked well.
Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Gregg,to change the slip ring you have to strip the magneto and possibly re-shim the bearings, whereas the cam ring just slips in from outside. And as bill says modifying any single slip ring is easily done, I have done several V-twin ones for opposite rotation and also converting to manual adv/ret building mags for Broughs, easy with these modern slitting discs on an angle grinder.

robmfj

Forum User
VOC Member
Glad to hear the Comet is sorted.

I have to dissent about Ebay's "Global Shipping Program", though. Its main benefit appears to be to Ebay shareholders, with shipping rates to the US about four times that of Royal Mail. I always request sellers to use Royal Mail instead, and have never been charged any import fees or duties (Canada may differ).

I agree that DHL can be fast; I ordered a cylinder head from Conway and it made it across the pond via DHL in a few days, like your magneto. Not sure if Ebay's program always uses them; if so the speed might justify the expense if one is in a hurry.
DHL Drop, handle, lose or Don't hurry lads. good to hear they're improving!

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Good to hear that the problem is sorted.
A mag is a wonderful thing when it's repaired and working properly.
Nice to have some electrical freedom from the charging system, daytime anyway.

Glen

Last edited:

gregg-k

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Exactly, Glenliman ... that freedom is something that's too often overlooked. A mag is completely self-sufficient, and hence you're not reliant on the dynamo, the battery or regulator. It's sensible to keep all those properly maintained in any case, but with a good mag, a bike's reliability (during the daylight hours) is not reliant on those components.

Last edited:

gregg-k

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thank you for your kind thought, Bill. I've been a Brit bike guy for over 55 years now, but only wish I owned a Vincent. I'm not a Club member, but was encouraged by Bob Collings to join the Forum and to contribute as I can.
.. Gregg

Status
Not open for further replies.