Comet Valve Lifter

cometbaz

Forum User
VOC Member
I have recently aquired a comet for restoration and I am wondering if it should have an exhaust valve lifter fitted. I did have a friend with a comet without one and it started ok but I was wondering about possible excess component wear if it should have one .
Cheers Baz

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It should have a valve lifter and makes starting a lot easy with it. Unfortunately they are prone to leak oil, though less so on a Comet than a Twin. Some owners removed the mechanism and plugged the hole, a rather drastic remedy to stop a little oil seepage. If the mechanism is still in place (Left side of timing case, awkwardly tucked away on a Comet) You need handlebar lever, cable HB10AS, sleeve ET168, abutment ET172/2

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Even more drastic,mostly on Twins, is to abandon the original lifter mechanism in favour of Enfield decompressors screwed in the cylinder heads. Why tap extra holes in the heads when, with a little patience, the standard set up can be entiely satifactory.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Also most Enfield decompressors were short reach which didn't do much for your compression ratio and they covered the outside of the cylinder heads with oily muck.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Valve lifter leaks

I'm reluctant to mention this when "Zeppelin" Myatt is around, but I bought and fitted the "patented Ron Kemp valve lifter leak suppression kit" AND improved the function of the breather. One or both of these actions worked.

nkt267

VOC Member
I didn't know that the kit from kemps fitted a Comet,the one I ordered didn't.(someone told me it did).It will be passed on to someone in the section one day.

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
COMET Thread.

Now look what you have done Tom, I will have Comet owners ringing up all week asking for this kit :p
The Valve Lifter kit that we do only fits twins.

Russ